cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box. Netflix and iplayer freezing

Alan29
On our wavelength

Tivo box (not v6) keeps losing the internet connection. The box is downstairs by the TV and the router is upstairs where our study is. Each has its own wall socket. This happens after about 20 minutes even after rebooting both the router and Tivo and getting a connection through settings. I can use internet on a tablet downstairs, so there is a wifi signal.

I am paying for services I cant use.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've mentioned Netflix & iPlayer thus far, which are streaming apps. The TiVo is an old box running old hardware, and this is one of a few reasons why the newer streaming apps are only available on the V6 box. Put simply, the V6 runs the same software as TiVo but does have much newer, more capable, hardware.

If your TiVo's internet connection was the issue, I'd expect you to also be reporting problems using VOD (OnDemand) in general - so non-BBC catchup, and any box-set programme. In other words, OnDemand programmes accessed from the guide/EPG directly.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to move the router downstairs - I assume you're referring to the V6's lack of an inbuilt 'net connection & reliance on your homehub for this. Of course Ethernet is always preferable given a choice, but many people run V6's over WiFi perfectly well - you just need to be aware of the extra variables and issues that wireless introduces.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Alan,

Further to japitts response last Sunday when he mentioned V6 boxes, which are better than TIVO, especially for apps.

If you have VM broadband it might be worth your while calling VM  and speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiating a new contract, asking for a free box swap to the V6 as part of the deal ( possibly quicker than waiting for another TIVO,  and save you money too)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Alan29, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. 

I understand the frustration and there may well be something we can do as you've mentioned the V6 box was included in the package you took originally but I am needing to check in with my colleague. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Alan29, 

Thanks for speaking with me via private message. 

I am glad things are now sorted for you. Please let me know how the delivery goes and if you need any help with your new V6 box. 

We're here if you have any further issues too. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

27 REPLIES 27

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo doesn't get its internet connection from your homehub, so while those WiFi checks are interesting, they're not doing much! 🙂

Out of interest, how do you know the box is losing the connection - is this just from the streaming & VOD dropping?

Do you have any flashing green lights on the front-left of the TiVo?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Alan29
On our wavelength

I get a message on screen from Netflix telling me there is no connection.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fair enough..

Do you have any flashing green lights on the front-left of the TiVo? Specifically, the second-from-left with a painted heart symbol next to it.

Alan29
On our wavelength

Its lit but not flashing.

This problem seems worse in the evenings than during the day.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, that LED is the TiVo's internal modem - if it's static then it's online.

You've mentioned this is worse during the evening, this could be indicative of network congestion but don't think we're at the stage of proving that yet.

Can you explain what you mean by "getting a connection through settings"?

Alan29
On our wavelength

Through the virgin Home screen/settings/network.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Suspected as much, but wanted confirmation first..

The only other thing I'd want to check is.. when you get problems with VOD or streaming not working, what is shown in the network connection screen initially? You imply that forcing a manual connection temporarily resolves the issues, but what's happening before you do this... if the LED status isn't flashing, the modem is online. So the network status in here will be interesting.

Alan29
On our wavelength
Well I will have to wait until it freezes - which could be any time.
I phoned 150 and got an automated voice that just reset the router and TiVo box - useless, I can do that myself. Do they not have actual humans any more?
What is your gut telling you .... is it my Tivo that needs upgrading, but then the router will have to move downstairs to be in the same room. Or is it line congestion?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've mentioned Netflix & iPlayer thus far, which are streaming apps. The TiVo is an old box running old hardware, and this is one of a few reasons why the newer streaming apps are only available on the V6 box. Put simply, the V6 runs the same software as TiVo but does have much newer, more capable, hardware.

If your TiVo's internet connection was the issue, I'd expect you to also be reporting problems using VOD (OnDemand) in general - so non-BBC catchup, and any box-set programme. In other words, OnDemand programmes accessed from the guide/EPG directly.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to move the router downstairs - I assume you're referring to the V6's lack of an inbuilt 'net connection & reliance on your homehub for this. Of course Ethernet is always preferable given a choice, but many people run V6's over WiFi perfectly well - you just need to be aware of the extra variables and issues that wireless introduces.