Menu
Redruby
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box 500Gb installed January 2019, what have I done to deserve this?

The existing Vbox was removed & a Tivo Box 500 Gb installed on 29/01/2019, resulting from a call from Virgin to say developmental changes means the old Vbox would be discontinued. Since January 2019 the quality of the Tivo box continues to be extremely poor.

The software is appalling and is lacking in a basic user friendly interface. Numerous faults have been listed:

1.Pixilation occurs on all channels throughout the day (I now suffer with headaches due to the pixilation colour flashes). It doesn't distinguish between channels affected, all are at risk of pixilation.

2. Lipsynch issues. Audio lags behind when viewing in real time. Forced to switch off/on to restore sound each time.

3. Visual juddering & jumping forward in real time viewing.

4. When Reminder/Record option is set, audio from the last channel used carries forward and is repeated several times as an echo at the point the channel changes over.

5. The software isn't intuitive and doesn't allow for 'reminders only' to be set without the 'Record' option (as was the option in the old Vbox).

6. Clearing down recorded programmes must be carried out daily to avoid overloading, (chore or what?) Entering a password each time you want to view stored programmes is the limit.

7. Channel changing is overly long due to the poor interface of this box. Buffering occurs when setting to record programmes.

8. As far as the hardware is concerned, the Tivo 500Gb box is enormous and not discreet by any means. It has also got a distinctive rattle/vibration which can only be quietened by putting a rubber mat underneath.

None of these issue I want to continue paying £36.61 a month for.  I only have a TV package with Virgin, so why am I putting up with this I ask?

I've complained to Virgin media on 8 Feb and again on 25 Feb. I received a phone call from Virgin Media on Mon 17 Mar to check my HDMI connection which they confirmed was OK, but their Techie said, they couldn't do anything else other than send an engineer out to check & replace the box......groan!

I'm paying for this service and find I can't watch my TV owing to the deterioration of viewing quality caused by this Tivo box. I had no complaints about the previous Vbox. Whose responsible at Virgin for buying into this Tivo hype?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo box 500Gb installed January 2019, what have I done to deserve this?

@Redruby wrote:

The existing Vbox was removed & a Tivo Box 500 Gb installed on 29/01/2019, resulting from a call from Virgin to say developmental changes means the old Vbox would be discontinued. Since January 2019 the quality of the Tivo box continues to be extremely poor.

The software is appalling and is lacking in a basic user friendly interface. Numerous faults have been listed:

1.Pixilation occurs on all channels throughout the day (I now suffer with headaches due to the pixilation colour flashes). It doesn't distinguish between channels affected, all are at risk of pixilation.

Signal issue more than likely call faults

2. Lipsynch issues. Audio lags behind when viewing in real time. Forced to switch off/on to restore sound each time.

Could be related to above

3. Visual juddering & jumping forward in real time viewing.

Could be related to above

4. When Reminder/Record option is set, audio from the last channel used carries forward and is repeated several times as an echo at the point the channel changes over.

Ditto

5. The software isn't intuitive and doesn't allow for 'reminders only' to be set without the 'Record' option (as was the option in the old Vbox).

TiVO boxes are enabled to record on all three tuners, unlike the older boxes that had one dedicated for viewing only. To have both facilities available you have no option but to record or the reminders dont work.

6. Clearing down recorded programmes must be carried out daily to avoid overloading, (chore or what?) Entering a password each time you want to view stored programmes is the limit.

The box is meant for temporary storage only. You have to do this with all PVRs. You can switch PIN Codes off via the paerntal guidance with the exception of Sky Cinema, which is subject to Daytime Mandatory Protection.

7. Channel changing is overly long due to the poor interface of this box. Buffering occurs when setting to record programmes.

May be signal issues

8. As far as the hardware is concerned, the Tivo 500Gb box is enormous and not discreet by any means. It has also got a distinctive rattle/vibration which can only be quietened by putting a rubber mat underneath.

The design is 8 years old. It also contains an internet modem, which the V6 box does not.

None of these issue I want to continue paying £36.61 a month for.  I only have a TV package with Virgin, so why am I putting up with this I ask?

You are stuck with the older box as you dont have Virgin Broadband, which is a requirement with the new V6.

I've complained to Virgin media on 8 Feb and again on 25 Feb. I received a phone call from Virgin Media on Mon 17 Mar to check my HDMI connection which they confirmed was OK, but their Techie said, they couldn't do anything else other than send an engineer out to check & replace the box......groan!

I'm paying for this service and find I can't watch my TV owing to the deterioration of viewing quality caused by this Tivo box. I had no complaints about the previous Vbox. Whose responsible at Virgin for buying into this Tivo hype?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Redruby
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box 500Gb installed January 2019, what have I done to deserve this?

Good to have your input. Can you elaborate on what you term as 'signal issues'? I had no issues with the old type Vbox, signal or otherwise, so I'm wondering what could have altered with the signal since the Tivo box was installed in January 2019?

For information the Virgin Media engineer came to site on 20 March 2019 and test checked all incoming connections and got a good reading on all. He then tested the Tivo 500Gb box and found tuners 2 & 3 were at Red. He explained this could have contributed to some of the issues I had been experiencing since it was installed. He took the old box out and replaced it with a new updated Tivo 500Gb box. In the process he explained that some old Tivo boxes were reconditioned/remanufactured and if delivered in a blue box this would be the only identification that this was the case. However, he assured me the replacement, updated version was from new.

It was checked and tested before he left and I was advised to wait for at least three to four hours whilst the software downloaded fully. It didn't appear to be any different visually for at least 48 hours........but whaddya know, back came the lip synch issues on 22 March!!! Watching 4HD in real time around 9.45 pm without changing channel for over 40 minutes I was spectacularly unimpressed when out of the blue the screen jumped momentarily, followed immediately by a sound lag causing the voices to be out of synchronisation, this continued without rectifying until I got fed up and restarted the bloomin thing.

I was even more thrilled to see pixilation back across the middle of the screen, oh joy of joys.!

Though a bonus was achieved, I've been able to switch off that annoying 'bleep' when selecting tv Guide etc, this option wasn't on the settings menu on the previous version.

Around 7am on BBC on 25 March the lip synch issue returned, again without changing channel for 25 mins or more the screen jumped and the sound went out of synch and didn't rectify until I got cheesed off and did the usual on/off.

I think I've given it a good go this Tivo malarkey (3 months), so I now think its time for a change......my waste bin isn't too far away to throw it.

0 Kudos