Menu
aidy1972
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo blacks out constantly.

Reporting as original appears to have been removed!

This has got to a point where box is going to hurled out if the window! 

Platform: 8620

Hardware Version: 8.1

Software Version: 20.8.1.RC9-VM-2-C00

The screen has been dropping to black with no audio briefly for a while now. Lately, it's extremely frequent and very annoying. More worrying now, there seems to be some electrical "zapping" happening. This is both an audible and a visual small line on screen.

I've tested other cables, have dusted the leads (although pretty clean anyway) tried rebooting and so forth.

My tv is a relatively new model, is a 4K Samsung Model Code: UE50MU6120. No other device does this on the TV except the TiVo.

It's taken almost 1.5 hours to watch a recorded 45 minute show (take out ads by fast forward!) From having to rewind what I'm missing during blackouts!

After reading other posts, worth noting the blackouts occur whether in the menus or just watching live TV/recordings.

I tried changing settings on display, turning off 1080p and so on but to no avail.

Box may need replacing. TV too if that zapping gets serious!

Cannot contact VM on phone no land line handset and not paying their ludricus "from other phone rates"

I've purchased a new cable since first post, turned box off on mains while out getting said cable and is exactly the same,  if not worse!

0 Kudos
aidy1972
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo blacks out constantly.

Okaaaay...

I've just changed where it's plugged into tv, from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 and it has eased, if not for the moment stopped entirely. 

I did this before (sorry just remembering now!)

There's a setting on TV that "names" port as Virgin Media, I don't know if there's any other settings behind this or is just cosmetic. I've currently just left the port called "unknown"

Will see what happens although that sparking sound was disturbing, while not happening at the moment, can't be a good thing!

0 Kudos
aidy1972
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Has started again. Not as bad that got this thread started in first place, but has started blackouts again nonetheless. 

Is every few minutes at the moment whereas before port change was so frequent , the box may as well had been turned off!

0 Kudos
aidy1972
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And now is almost to the point again where it's going to get chucked out the window!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aidy1972, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I hope you've managed to get this sorted. If you're still experiencing issues please pop back. 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
aidy1972
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

While the Tivo was actually broken and an engineer has since been out to replace it, turns out the blacking out is the TV.  Common issue with this and many other Samsung 4k TV's apparently.

I've bought a HDMI 2.0 cable for the new Tivo box and while not nearly as bad, it still blacks out.  I've a feeling the 4K TV doesn't like 4K inputs ironically!

I'm upgrading to an Xbox One X in the not too distant, currently have standard Xbox One, screen never blacks out when using current and it's only 1080p.

I've an awful feeling when I get the X, I'm going to have same issue.

Lucky for me the TV is a rental, I will just get in touch and get it replaced.

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear it's turned out to be a device issue @aidy1972, but at least you're in the know about what the problem is now and can get it replaced.

All the best for the new year,

Michael_JK
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos