cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo Upgrade

Haldred1
Tuning in

Hello,

I have a V6 box but my son still has an old Tivo box is there a way he can be upgraded to a v6 or a 360 box I would expect this is a paid service but not sure how to go about it? any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Haldred1,

Does your son have broadband with VM?  Both the V6 and 360 boxes need a working VM broadband to work, unlike the TIVO which has it's own built in modem.

There would usually be a charge for a new box and also a possible activation fee.

It might be worthwhile your son speaking to either regrades or cancellations (thinking of leaving us) to try and negotiate a new deal along with a possible free box upgrade in exchange for a new 18 month contract.

The V6 is a new software system compared to the V6 and TIVO's. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles features of the V6?Tivo it does have added attractions such as voice control. It might be an idea if he looks at the following page to see the main differences and how the 360 works as once you have a 360 you can't go back to a V6 or TIVO. virgin-tv-360 FAQ's 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Haldred1,

Does your son have broadband with VM?  Both the V6 and 360 boxes need a working VM broadband to work, unlike the TIVO which has it's own built in modem.

There would usually be a charge for a new box and also a possible activation fee.

It might be worthwhile your son speaking to either regrades or cancellations (thinking of leaving us) to try and negotiate a new deal along with a possible free box upgrade in exchange for a new 18 month contract.

The V6 is a new software system compared to the V6 and TIVO's. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles features of the V6?Tivo it does have added attractions such as voice control. It might be an idea if he looks at the following page to see the main differences and how the 360 works as once you have a 360 you can't go back to a V6 or TIVO. virgin-tv-360 FAQ's 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes, he stays in the same house we have the virgin 1 gig service and the max tv package.

He has a 4k UHD screen and his main complaint is that the tivo is not capable of 4k and the slow speed of the tivo box. after using my v6 box in the living room and having used his brother's 360 who lives in another house he is very keen to have one for himself.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're probably ideally placed to compare the TiVo-software (which powers the TiVo & V6 boxes) and the Horizon/360-platform - and I'm only saying that because a conversion from TiVo/V6 > 360 is a one-way choice that can't be reverted if you change your mind.

The V6 supports 4K/UHD exactly the same as 360 does - the hardware is identical, it's the software that differs.

As already advised though, to swap a TiVo for either a V6 or a 360 requires a physical box-swap in any case, it's just a choice of which software platform you want the box to run on. If you want to go the V6 route, you're best off asking for a box-swap as part of a package renegotiation - in other words, moving to a current bundle in exchange for the new hardware and an 18month contract. If you want the 360, then you can voluntarily request a swap from https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/virgin-tv-360 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks