Menu
MTJScott
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Elderly Remote Controller Accessibility

I've just purchased a universal controller for my granddad as he is struggling to use the regular tivo remote due to Parkinsons. The new controller has been set up fine and it is all working. However, when he is punching in the numbers to change the channel he is taking a little too long to find the numbers and the channel is switching too early. Is there any way to change the settings so that he doesn't have to rush and can take his time putting the numbers in?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Elderly Remote Controller Accessibility

Hi MTJScott,

Thank you for your post. Sadly this isn't something that can be adjusted. 

My apologies. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is a rather sparse reply from VM.

There is an alternative that you might have explored before going to the expense of a universal remote control. The alternative might suit because it has not only button control but also a swipe system that your grandfather might find more convenient.

It would be at least worth exploring it and giving it a try to see if it improves his accessibility.

Read all about it here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-using-tv-control-as-a-remote

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MTJScott
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Unfortunately, I've just had a call from my granddad for him to let me know he can't control the tv because the channel is changing too quickly. I'm not sure what to do unfortunately. I'll have to see if I can program multiple numbers to a single button to maybe set up some channel presets or something. He doesn't have a mobile phone and it would just be more trouble for him to go through due to his dementia. I'm trying to make things as simple as possible for him.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh that is sad but the fight to help your grandfather is not lost yet! You want a simple device that lets him switch the thing on and change channels. This might do the job and it is cheap. I don't know I haven't tested it but it seems right:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/TV-Tivo-equipment/m-p/3926964#M9546...

This is what the Community here is for. VM users (and their families) coming together to find solutions to their issues. We don't give up easily.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to hear that is the case MTJScott, if he uses a tablet such as an ipad or android tablet the control app is also compatible with them and may give him a larger surface to work with.

Does he also experience difficulties using the channel guide to view the channels he wants to see?

Is it particular channels that he likes to view? If you are able to set the universal remote so he can use it to browse through his favourites that may also be helpful. You can find more info on the favourites feature here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The remote that HowardML has linked also looks like it may be a huge benefit for him because it will allow him to browse through pre-registered channels with few key presses and without needing to memorise channel numbers.

Let us know if you need any further assistance with this.

Thanks

Tom_S

MTJScott
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've tried teaching him how to use the guide but its all a bit complicated for him. Hes got a good enough memory to know the numbers for the channels he likes to watch though. I could have another crack at teaching him the guide though. I might be getting a few phone calls asking for help though 🙂

The favorites feature sounds great! I'll have a look into it. 

0 Kudos
MTJScott
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot! The universal remote hes got is similar to that one but i'll consider getting that one too just in case he finds that it works better for him. Thank you for the suggestion.

Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update MTJScott,

Let us know how you get on with the advice and feel free to come back if you need more support.

Thanks

Tom_S