Menu
gbcarter
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box not Recording from Start of Show or Film

My Tivo Box no longer back records from the beginning of a show or film!

If I spot something I want to record and its already started the Tivo no longer records from the start of whatever is being recorded, only from the point I hit record.

Having spoken to Virgin have had no joy from the call centre, other than explaining how I can extend recording time, which is not what I was asking 😞

Has anyone had the same experience, is it a software change that means we can no longer back record from the beginning of whatever we are watching to record the full programme/video?? 

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box not Recording from Start of Show or Film

Yes, this was one of the functions removed in a software update to TiVo in an attempt to improve its performance.

The only solution is to upgrade your TiVo to V6.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not sure I entirely agree with Ernie, but we may have some crossed wires 🙂

A recent software change to TiVo means any tuner not actively being used for recording or live TV, is switched off so the box only actively buffers the current channel and any planned recordings.

If you are watching live TV and decide to record the program, the resultant recording should be from either the start of the program, or when you first swapped to that channel, whichever is later. In other words, let's say you swap to BBC1 at 5.55pm and only hit record at 6.15pm then the box should record the news from 6pm. If you switch to BBC1 at 6.05pm and hit record at 6.15pm, then it will backdate the recording to 6.05pm

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, @japitts , I think I was wrong but can’t explain the OP’s observation in that case.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
gbcarter
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update guys, thought it must be something software related, Reponse appreciated ...

0 Kudos
gbcarter
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just realised doing some research that although the box says Tivo on it, it is acutally a V6 box which is not recording from beginning of a programme or film.

I've checked my account account online and it confirms I do have a V6 box which I didn't realise, so even though we thought the problem was software related to the old TIVO box software update its not ...

From the replies recieved it appears the V6 box should record from the beginning of a programme or film whenever you hit Record, mine has stopped doing this and only records from the point I hit record!

Any ideas, software issue still with the V6 box, or maybe the box gone faulty??  I've reset the V6 box to no avail. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

One thing to bear in mind is that this functionality is dependant on the tuner having been on the channel long enough to have buffered the start of the program, so if you have just switched to the channel, there's no guarantee that it will be possible, the way that the TiVo\V6 chooses to use tuners is a bit of a dark art, but I believe you can use the info button to see which channel each tuner is currently on and switch between them. The same applies if you have just turned on the box from standby, as it no longer buffers when in standby mode (though this was changed years ago).