Menu
spankymonkey
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo suggestions - How do you stop it

To try and keep it brief. VM TiVo was recording some really random shows previously (i.e. stuff I have literally never watched). I asked the question how to stop this and eventually was directed to TiVo settings and I disabled "Suggestions" which worked for a while

However....TiVo has started recording random stuff again! The "Suggestions" option is still set to 'off' so what am I missing here? Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo suggestions - How do you stop it

Hi spankymonkey,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

How many TiVo® boxes are in the property?

^Martin

0 Kudos
spankymonkey
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Only the one box in my living room. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. 

Can you got into your series links and see if there is anything listed that you have selected to be recorded? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
spankymonkey
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have checked the series links already but they are only for shows I have purposely selected. The suggestions being recorded are for things like the news, various talent shows (which I cannot stand and avoid like the plague) or stuff from channels I've never watched, hence the reason I disabled it initially. Each time I have seen something random I have made sure to give it a triple thumbs down but that does not seem to do anything.

The only thing I can think of is that TiVo is recording shows with some tenuous link to shows I have deliberately recorded (e.g. an actor is in a show I have recorded on purpose, TiVo sees another show they appear in so thinks I might want to watch that too). 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi spankymonkey,

Thank you for coming back to us, The Tivo box does record this way as it learns by what you watch and record, as you rightly said it does usually record by actors or genre, if you watched a movie or a show and something similar comes on it remembers.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
spankymonkey
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the the reply.

Ah well, no real problem. To be honest it's not a major issue just a bit annoying. However I do think that if Suggestions is disabled then TiVo still recording stuff shouldn't really happen. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi spankymonkey,

I think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. I'm really sorry for any confusion and I'd just like to clarify a couple of things.

First of all, your box can learn from you and generate suggestions without recording these shows. You would teach the box your preferences by using the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down buttons on your remote. Once your box is coming up with suggestions for you, you can find and manage these under My Shows > Suggestions > Improve my TiVo Suggestions.

You already know where to turn Suggestion Recordings on and off in the Settings menu, you can amend this any time. When this setting is switched off, the box should not record anything you have not manually requested.

There is another possible explanation for the seemingly random recordings you've mentioned - WishLists. This is a feature similar to SeriesLink, but for particular actors, directors, or keywords. I'm wondering whether you may have inadvertently set up a WishList which is picking up these shows. You can check this via Home > Search & Discover > My WishList Searches.

Have you had a look at these settings at all?

If there's nothing here which may account for this issue, could you confirm the last time you rebooted your box?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos