cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo recordings stuttering

Ozymandius257
Tuning in

Hi, several of the recordings on my TiVo box are stuttering with the sound stopping and the picture going blocky. 

I can see this has been asked before, but unfortunately the answer doesn’t show up. 

Hopefully someone from virgin will see this and be able to advise me if I need a hard drive replacement. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not mentioned problems with live TV, so I assume that's ok.

Try pausing live TV and watch it delayed by a short time, this is also a recording and uses your hard drive in the same way. Is that similarly affected?

If yes, then it's likely your box has early onset HDD failure and your TiVo will need replacing sooner or later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not mentioned problems with live TV, so I assume that's ok.

Try pausing live TV and watch it delayed by a short time, this is also a recording and uses your hard drive in the same way. Is that similarly affected?

If yes, then it's likely your box has early onset HDD failure and your TiVo will need replacing sooner or later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

When I pause live TV, the recording then is OK.  So I turned the Tivo off for a minute and then back on again, and I'll keep an eye on it

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case, one of 2 things is likely happening..

1: The live TV feed at the time you made those recordings, had a fault and that has been recorded.

2: Your HDD has a problem that's currently only affecting certain parts and is therefore intermittent.

Hi Ozymandius257,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. It's disappointing to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your Tivo recordings.

As our valued member @japitts has explained, this could be a possible fault with the live feed when you recorded the programme. 

You advised you've rebooted your box since this has happened and it seemed to resolve the issue. 

How have things been since your last post? Did the reboot resolve the issue? 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi,

So far there hasn't been a problem, so I'm hopeful that it was just a glitch.

Hi there @Ozymandius257, thanks for the update.

Glad to see this is working fine for you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules