Menu
Reply
  • 87
  • 0
  • 11
kevinh
Dialled in
479 Views
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.

I created a series link for a daily BBC1 show and chose "never HD" to save disk space. For some reason the box planned to record the BBC1 AD channel, not BBC1 SD. You can of course force it to record BBC1 SD in the series link options, but that defeats the purpose of the "all channels" option. Surely the main SD channel should be the default choice for a non HD recording, not the audio description service?

Kevin

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19.79K
  • 2.02K
  • 3.79K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
461 Views
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.

BBC One SD on 108 is an England only channel now. 108 doesn't exist in Wales or Northern Ireland, and Scotland has BBC Scotland HD on 108.

The only guaranteed version of BBC One SD that everyone has is the AD channel, so that may be 'next' for the order of priority for an SD only All Channels Series Link.

**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.18K
  • 163
  • 349
japitts
Problem sorter
446 Views
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.

I've long assumed that TiVo chooses channel numbers for SL's from the top-down, just due to some coding logic.

Although I've just had a SL+ for Hostile Planet try to choose Ch265 over Ch268 in exactly the same timeslot.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.06K
  • 49
  • 99
Moderator
Moderator
438 Views
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.

Hi kevinh,

Thanks for your post, very sorry to hear this has caused frustration for you.

With regards to the recording options for setting a series link, you are correct in that you can select an option for all channels, in this case it will record from any number of channels that show that programme and there is no way to set specific channels to include/exclude others. If you would like to set the recordings to only record on SD, please use the option to select this channel.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 87
  • 0
  • 11
kevinh
Dialled in
421 Views
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.


@Lindsey_C wrote:

Hi kevinh,

Thanks for your post, very sorry to hear this has caused frustration for you.

With regards to the recording options for setting a series link, you are correct in that you can select an option for all channels, in this case it will record from any number of channels that show that programme and there is no way to set specific channels to include/exclude others. If you would like to set the recordings to only record on SD, please use the option to select this channel.

Thanks

Lindsey_C


Lindsey, yes I understand all that. My question is why does it default initially to BBC1 AD rather than to BBC1 SD (channel 101) which makes far more sense. "All Channels" with "Never HD" selected for BBC2 works as expected (defaulting to BBC2 SD on channel 865).

Kevin

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 87
  • 0
  • 11
kevinh
Dialled in
419 Views
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.


@BenMcr wrote:

BBC One SD on 108 is an England only channel now. 108 doesn't exist in Wales or Northern Ireland, and Scotland has BBC Scotland HD on 108.

The only guaranteed version of BBC One SD that everyone has is the AD channel, so that may be 'next' for the order of priority for an SD only All Channels Series Link.


That doesn't make sense. In England channel 101 is BBC1 SD and 108 is BBC 1 HD. Maybe 101 will become HD (as 102 did) but I would expect BBC1 SD to be given a new channel number as BBC2 SD was.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.18K
  • 163
  • 349
japitts
Problem sorter
403 Views
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.


@kevinh wrote:

@BenMcr wrote:

BBC One SD on 108 is an England only channel now. 108 doesn't exist in Wales or Northern Ireland, and Scotland has BBC Scotland HD on 108.

The only guaranteed version of BBC One SD that everyone has is the AD channel, so that may be 'next' for the order of priority for an SD only All Channels Series Link.


That doesn't make sense. In England channel 101 is BBC1 SD and 108 is BBC 1 HD. Maybe 101 will become HD (as 102 did) but I would expect BBC1 SD to be given a new channel number as BBC2 SD was.

Kevin


I think Ben was referring to UK-wide, not just England. You're right, England has 101 (SD), 108 (HD) & 86x (AD), Scotland has the BBC Scotland channel on 108 where England has it on 162. BBC1 in Scotland has already been HD-swapped because there's no regional opt-outs there.

Ben is saying how the only BBC1 version that is the same across the *whole of the UK* on Virgin is the 86x variant.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 87
  • 0
  • 11
kevinh
Dialled in
377 Views
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo defaulting to BBC1 AD for SD only series link.


@japitts wrote:

@kevinh wrote:

@BenMcr wrote:

BBC One SD on 108 is an England only channel now. 108 doesn't exist in Wales or Northern Ireland, and Scotland has BBC Scotland HD on 108.

The only guaranteed version of BBC One SD that everyone has is the AD channel, so that may be 'next' for the order of priority for an SD only All Channels Series Link.


That doesn't make sense. In England channel 101 is BBC1 SD and 108 is BBC 1 HD. Maybe 101 will become HD (as 102 did) but I would expect BBC1 SD to be given a new channel number as BBC2 SD was.

Kevin


I think Ben was referring to UK-wide, not just England. You're right, England has 101 (SD), 108 (HD) & 86x (AD), Scotland has the BBC Scotland channel on 108 where England has it on 162. BBC1 in Scotland has already been HD-swapped because there's no regional opt-outs there.

Ben is saying how the only BBC1 version that is the same across the *whole of the UK* on Virgin is the 86x variant.


I got that Ben was talking about UK wide, but saying 108 was SD in England didn't make sense.

BBC1 AD is not a suitable default "SD only" recording channel. Presumably the "HD if possible" logic is able to detect which channel is BBC1 HD and select that according to the regional differences. In Scotland it would be 101, in England 108. Why is that not possible with SD?

I see VM has added four BBC1 SD channels, in England at least (861-864). Hopefully this is a step towards resolving the HD/SD channel confusion UK wide.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Reply