cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo box regularly switching to blank screen

fedup_of_chelt
On our wavelength

The TiVo box regularly freezes and switches to a blank screen. Have tried all the suggested fixes. The box has developed a fault and needs to be replaced.

What is the best method to report this please? I have tried phoning 150 and followed the link from the text and have also then tried chat but after having to wait over 2 hours to be connected to an operator, I almost lost the will to live and still have a faulty box!

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you say a blank screen, are we saying that the TV is losing its video input from the TiVo? Or that the picture is dropping out? And if the latter - is this regardless of the source, i.e. live TV, recorded, OnDemand etc?

You've not said what "all the suggested fixes" are - can you explain what you've tried?

As far as fault reporting goes, once you've chosen the "I have a fault" options, the best thing is to press or select nothing else but just wait on the line. Ignore the offers of self-service or getting a link - just wait.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply.

The fault only occurs when watching a programme through the box. TV is fine.

Things we have tried to date that have lead us down to there being a faulty box: 

rebooting the box numerous times

Swapping the lead with that used for the box in the other room where there is no fault

Swapped the box with that from the other room

Checked that connections coming into the house are not loose

Would welcome suggestions for something else we could try please?

Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums @fedup_of_chelt. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the TV box acting up.
I've checked on my end and everything with the equipment seems to be healthy - no errors showing on our end.
Are you able to check if all the cables are connected securely in the back? Are you also able to check another HDMI / SCART lead?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you. 
I checked all that I could and was able to narrow it down to the actual box itself. I now have a replacement TiVo box on his way - hopefully I do as just waiting on confirmation email if when delivery will be. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How was it you arranged that replacement TiVo? I ask because..

1: Replacement TV boxes are normally done by tech visit

2: TiVo's aren't now being replaced but are swapped out for V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi,

I rang through via 150 and explained the fault together with the various things I had tried. All these led to the conclusion that it was the box that was faulty. I had made the mistake of calling it the TiVo box when actually it is my V6 that is faulty.

The service operator then said a new box would be delivered with no need for a technician as I agreed that I was competent enough to plug the new box in myself. I was then told to await an email with delivery details. 
hth

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If that email hasn't arrived after a week, then there's a distinct chance it's not going to appear

V6 are normally replaced by tech visit, not by just posting a replacement box out. Tech arrives, checks your kit, installs new box and takes old one away with them.

Thank you for the heads up. 

I will ring again today and chase.

I’ve been trying to have this faulty box replaced for weeks now without success. We are beginning to get used to not using it and are close to just cancelling it and saving our money 😊

Hi fedup_of_chelt 

I have taken a look at things from our side and can see this is now resolved 🙂

We are sorry for the time taken to get this done and for any inconvenience caused. 

If you have any further questions, please pop back to us here and we will do our best to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide