Menu
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 81 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

Personally I wouldn't believe a word they say and more than likely just said to get you away from the stand.  Why would they be told they could communicate this magical new box when nothing has been officially advertised with only one month left before being made available.

Sadly Virgin are being left so far behind now.  I want to believe they have something that is about to be released that will match Sky's offering, but I can't see it.

frank_gm
Superstar
Message 82 of 399
Flag for a moderator

From my own personal experience, slowness is due to both memory and network issues. Since the last update, the first time I chose a menu then it would take a bit of time to load but subsequently any menu access would be almost immediate. Trying to access a network service such as Netflix or I-Player would involve a wait time and I put all of these issues down to a lack of memory.

Earlier this year I found everything had slowed down, including all menu/guide access, and I was also getting pixellation on both live shows and recordings.  An engineer came and diagnosed a signal issue which he resolved.

I am now back to the situation described in the first paragraph which I can live with. As soon as I wake up the box I access a menu to get it up and running and subsequently I have no problems on further access. While Netflix and I-Player remain the same, I only use them occasionally so give myself time before I want to use them.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ycwkpp898
Up to speed
Message 83 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi all. Anyone who is having a slow Tivo box please try and delete the deleted my shows.

Our Tivo's are switched off on a night and back on every morning.

I noticed that each time we had watched the saved my shows content and then deleted it the box was very slow.

I deleted them all from deleted and the box was a lot faster. I have been doing this for the last 2 years. Every 3 - 4 months. I know its a pain to delete each one but Virgin come on put a function to delete all deleted.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 84 of 399
Flag for a moderator

ycwkpp898 wrote:

Hi all. Anyone who is having a slow Tivo box please try and delete the deleted my shows.

Our Tivo's are switched off on a night and back on every morning.

I noticed that each time we had watched the saved my shows content and then deleted it the box was very slow.

I deleted them all from deleted and the box was a lot faster. I have been doing this for the last 2 years. Every 3 - 4 months. I know its a pain to delete each one but Virgin come on put a function to delete all deleted.

Hi,

What many people do not realize is how the HDD works, overtime it becomes fragmented, so when you record a program it is all over the place on the HDD, the more data the worst this matter becomes.

When you delete programmes, they are deleted as such, unless your HDD is nearly full. They still remain on the drive just in case there was a programme deleted by accident. Eventually, deleted recordings will start disappearing as new programmes are recorded.

Now let's look at the TiVo Boxes themselves:

We have the 1Tb TiVo Box - Maximum HDD space = 950Gb - 10% is required to at least keep the speed up!

and the same applies to the:

500Gb TiVo Box - Maximum HDD space = 450Gb - 10% is required to at least keep the speed up!

Now, what you know is the actual reliable space of each HDD, used. Over time you also get HDD dropouts, which slows down the HDD even more.

Then you also have to consider the PG (Programme Guide) size which is updated in the early hours, unless you turn it off completely, not in Standby Mode.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Mez90b
On our wavelength
Message 85 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Just add in yet another customer with the same problem. The delay when using the box from pressing the button to the box responding and actually finishing loading the app or program is too much.

From watching TV.
8 sec to load the TV guide
12 sec to load my shows
45 sec from pressing to open you tube to the app actually opening.

Rebooting the box helps but it just hides the problem for a few hours.

I don't think the issue is with only my box as other people I know have similar issues and similar slowness. The problem needs to be resolved with a better box (if it's really coming soon) or at least better programming to optimise the software to increase its performance on the current hardware.

The price keeps going up and the TV service just gets worse.
jamesbeeston
Joining in
Message 86 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Yet another customer tired of a slow TiVo box. 12 seconds here too to load My Shows which is pretty unacceptable. Are virgin sticking their head in the sand on this issue?

0 Kudos
gilburton
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Since most things became "Apps" using the internet they are definitely much slower than the original boxes before Tivo.

0 Kudos
Eeef
Joining in
Message 88 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Had 16% used in the hard disk, but >170 deleted programs. Removed the deleted programs and I'm back up to normal speed. Surely VM can fix this?
ycwkpp898
Up to speed
Message 89 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I have been saying this since they brought them out, I noticed a huge difference in speed once I removed the deleted. Surely they can put in an option to keep deleted for 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 28 days. and we set it to what we want. once the chosen option has passed it deletes the deleted.
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 90 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Eeef wrote:
Had 16% used in the hard disk, but >170 deleted programs. Removed the deleted programs and I'm back up to normal speed. Surely VM can fix this?

After awhile the hard disk becomes fragmented over time, removing data will speed up the seek time. The TiVo box can become worse over time with bad sectors, these can be (automatically software) 'remapped' to avoid but when this occurs it is best to get a box swap (Forum Staff can arrange this, subject to them doing a test from their end).

TiVo boxes don't seem to have a long life on them - I had a 1Tb TiVo from the start, it lasted until this year before needing a drive swap, but Virginmedia do not do drive swaps, only box swaps - so you lose ALL your recorded programmes. VM Engineers in the UK do not do data dumps either, it is something to do with copyright laws, even though in the US, Technical Engineers will do a data dump, therefore you do not lose any programmes!

UK have different laws, as usual... 

0 Kudos