Menu
orec42
Tuning in
Message 31 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

Same problem here and the diagnostic test shows nothing amiss. The box used to be much quicker and now it is infuriatingly slow.

0 Kudos
gilburton
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Mine as well. I thought it was the remote batteries but that hasn't made any difference. It takes some time for menus to appear after pressing the remote and as for netflix I've given up with that and watch it on my computer. It's almost instant on the laptop but can take 5 mins to get it through Virgin (if it works at all)

Judging by the posts so far there is obviously something wrong ???

gilburton
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Just rebooted my box and speed has improved but speech was out of sync rebooted again so we'll see how long it lasts.

0 Kudos
JonBoy126
Joining in
Message 34 of 399
Flag for a moderator

ok, so i have a couple of TiVo's in my house which were only installed a couple of years ago. 

Since then I've had two annual price increases and the service is getting progressively worse. Annoyingly the broadband is stunning so until competitors catch up, I guess we will be stuck with an inferior TV product. 

I'm currently in the process of clearing the lesser used box to see if this improves the performance. If so, I then need to tackle the subject of telling my family they will lose all their recordings on the main box as that is running very slow i.e each response is 10+ seconds, which is appalling service. 

mbonnick
Rising star
Message 35 of 399
Flag for a moderator

JonBoy126 wrote:

ok, so i have a couple of TiVo's in my house which were only installed a couple of years ago. 

Since then I've had two annual price increases and the service is getting progressively worse. Annoyingly the broadband is stunning so until competitors catch up, I guess we will be stuck with an inferior TV product. 

I'm currently in the process of clearing the lesser used box to see if this improves the performance. If so, I then need to tackle the subject of telling my family they will lose all their recordings on the main box as that is running very slow i.e each response is 10+ seconds, which is appalling service. 

Yep, sadly the tv service has fallen way behind the broadband service, and if it wasn't for the bb I would have ditched Virgin ages ago.  I did change TV to Sky and kept phone and BB with Virgin but this worked out really expensive so changed back to Virgin.  As soon as someone is able to compete with Virgin on bb they will be in trouble! 

0 Kudos
jason1985
Tuning in
Message 36 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Just did a search with virgin tivo box 2016 and found this article. Who knows, maybe they'll offer this to long time customers... if it is real.

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/pvr-set-top-boxes/what-we-know-about-the-next-virgin-media-tv-bo...

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 37 of 399
Flag for a moderator

jason1985 wrote:

Just did a search with virgin tivo box 2016 and found this article. Who knows, maybe they'll offer this to long time customers... if it is real.

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/pvr-set-top-boxes/what-we-know-about-the-next-virgin-media-tv-bo...

The link doesn't work.  I am assuming you sign up to which, anyone that doesn't is unlikely to be able to read it...

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 38 of 399
Flag for a moderator

How weird, click the link in my post and it works....

0 Kudos
jason1985
Tuning in
Message 39 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Nope, I just clicked it again and i'm not signed in to the site. Anyway, here is what was said.

"No, your eyes aren’t deceiving you, that’s still Virgin Media’s venerable Tivo box in the picture – a device the brand has been installing around the UK since late 2010. That’s an eternity for a set-top box, and now arch-rival Sky has announced its Sky Q box, which will make Tivo look even more old-fashioned.

Thankfully, it looks like Virgin may at last have a replacement waiting in the wings – or at least in the final stages of development. Why do we say that? Well, we’d be very surprised if the TV provider didn’t have a new box on the way – it has to stay competitive, after all – but also because it has been sending out surveys to customers asking them what they want the next Virgin Media TV box to do, and it’s pretty specific."

I'm not going to copy the whole thing but do a search online and you should find some information / rumours of a 2016 updated tivo box. 

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 40 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Its strange, I click the link in your post and it doesn't work but then if I click the link where I have quoted your original post and it works..

Makes interesting reading, sadly I don't believe Virgin are anywhere near releasing this box, I wish they were.  I believe it is more of dangling the carrot to make you stay because you think a better, more sophisticated box is just around the corner, only 2 find in 2 years time they are still dangling that same carrot.

0 Kudos