Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

Hi jason1985,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® has been running slowly of late.  I will be happy to help check this out for you. 

I have carried out some checks and signal wise all looks great this end.  I have found though there is a lot of time-outs on the line which may be slowing things down.  To clear this can you please power off/on the box to refresh and let me know when this has been done?  

Once the box has been rebooted I will re-check the box and see if the time-outs have cleared.  Keep me posted on how you get on.  I'm here to help if you need me.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jason1985
Tuning in
Message 12 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hello Collette, Thanks for the welcome! Just to let you know the box has been rebooted. Sorry for the delay! 

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 13 of 399
Flag for a moderator

'Sorry for the delay'  Lol its nice to hear someone apologising for a delay in the forum....

Just a pity that its not from Virgin acknowledging the dire performance problems with the TiVo service.

Meanwhile, next they'll use the usual delaying tactics suggest you change the batteries in your remote, then they'll check your cable signal levels(again)...  Then when it's still no better ... umm nothing... except advise you to keep rebooting the box again as the 'fix' whilst they (Virgin) continue to ignore the real problem.

griffgrog1
Tuning in
Message 14 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Our box has been getting slower and slower.  Netflix is particularly slow to load and to revert to live TV.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi jason1985,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I have re-checked the box and the time-outs have cleared, a few have popped back not nothing excessive that I'm worried about.

Has the speed improved since or is it much the same as before?  

Keep me posted Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
moose77
Tuning in
Message 16 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Jumping on to this thread as well. My Tivo has also become so slow it is unuseable these days. I have contacted support but they were of little help, simple telling me to reset the box, which I have done countless times to no avail. We have great connectivity in my area and no issues on the line (VM checked this). I referenced the threads on the forum to the CSR on the call I made and he suggested I do not check pubic forums for resolutions and stated they were unaware of any issues either reported on the forums or to them directly. I asked if there were any planned firmware updates inthe pipeline to address the performance issues and he was not aware of any. Running out of options, regretably now looking at sky after many years with VM, real shame as the broadband is excellent - all down to this Tivo issue meaning the TV service is so frustrating.

Matt

mbonnick
Rising star
Message 17 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I often wonder whether Richard Branson uses Virgin at home and whether he feels proud of the product his company pushes, particularly in relation to how slow it is.  I can only imagine his Tivo is gold plated and has four times the ram and 10 times the processor they put in the boxes destined for 'normal' people.

I would put money on the fact he got tired with the slow responses a long time ago, and switched to Sky Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
moose77
Tuning in
Message 18 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly I spoke to somebody in the industry this morning and apparently the Tivo issues are well known within the industry. The broadband known to be one of the best however - which I completely agree with. Their suggestion was to split out and keep broadband with VM and move to Sky for TV. I am looking into how this stacks up from a cost persepctive and will feed back to help others on this thread make the decision.

wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Afraid I'm going to have to jump into this one too.

My TiVo box has been slowing down like crazy over the past few months too, I've rebooted it several times, including fully wiping everything off it and restoring it, which is a real pain when you have over 70 series links programmed that you have to redo.

But alas now like others it's getting to a point where it's almost unusable and like others I'm having to consider leaving VM altogether.

It seems really very obvious that these machines, which are at the end of the day just computers, do have a finite lifespan and like all home PCs after a while will slow down as the processor ages and wears and really they just need to be replaced with new machines.

So can VM start to replace these old ones when they slow down to this point and drive people like me mad?

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 20 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wilkenstein1974,

Welcome back to the Community and thank you for your post here. 

I'd like to help and I've been trying to run some preliminary tests to identify anything that might be the cause but have been unsuccessful in getting into your account. I'd need some further information and I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos