Menu
palmyra08
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo ask for PIN before 22:00 even for BBC documentary recorded at 20:00

Trying to watch recorded shows, even a documentary recorded from BBC at 20:00, results in a prompt saying it "requires" PIN entry if watched before 22:00. My love for the TiVo user interface and its frankly stunningly fundamental conceptual (!!) errors knows no bound, but this is just utterly silly. At least I could not find in settings any semi-obvious / buried deep / impossibly illogically placed setting that can make it see sense.

0 Kudos
dgmcc
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo ask for PIN before 22:00 even for BBC documentary recorded at 20:00

Go to Help And Settings, then parental controls. You can turn off the request pin option there

palmyra08
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super, many thanks - I kept looking under the recording options, read too much into it saying "this program requires..." suggesting it picked some information from the recorded show. What was I thinking 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ima gonna call it - TiVo rage.

It was a cutting edge interface  back in the day (14th century) but VM UK's insistence on sticking with it for V6 makes no sense to me or anyone.

AFAIK theres a new interface due to rolled out "fairly" soon. But thats soon VM time (Valve time) , not your or my time.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

It was a cutting edge interface  back in the day (14th century) but VM UK's insistence on sticking with it for V6 makes no sense to me or anyone.

AFAIK theres a new interface due to rolled out "fairly" soon. But thats soon VM time (Valve time) , not your or my time.

The Horizon interface looks nice and flash (in the demos I've seen), but I'd put money on the fact that we're going to lose a lot of the unique features of the TiVo UI, almost certainly Wishlists and Suggestions, but could also imagine we could lose ever-lasting series links, auto-scheduling, maybe even Series Link+ type functionality.  TBH I'd rather have the features than a prettier looking interface (that may or may not be annoying to navigate due to all the big pretty pictures).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

The Horizon interface looks nice and flash (in the demos I've seen), but I'd put money on the fact that we're going to lose a lot of the unique features of the TiVo UI, almost certainly Wishlists and Suggestions, but could also imagine we could lose ever-lasting series links, auto-scheduling, maybe even Series Link+ type functionality.  TBH I'd rather have the features than a prettier looking interface (that may or may not be annoying to navigate due to all the big pretty pictures).

I would agree. And big pretty pictures can result in slowdown , especially if the network connection is flaky.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:The Horizon interface looks nice and flash (in the demos I've seen), but I'd put money on the fact that we're going to lose a lot of the unique features of the TiVo UI, almost certainly Wishlists and Suggestions, but could also imagine we could lose ever-lasting series links, auto-scheduling, maybe even Series Link+ type functionality.  TBH I'd rather have the features than a prettier looking interface (that may or may not be annoying to navigate due to all the big pretty pictures).

I've only seen a couple of pictures of the Horizon UI so probably less than this, but I also would rather have a functional TiVo than a whizz-bang-whallop but less-functional.

It's been a while since I compared TiVo with Sky+/SkyQ, but whenever the subject of series-links and schedule clashes comes up, Sky seems to come up short. I dare say Horizon could be similar.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Tavis75 wrote:The Horizon interface looks nice and flash (in the demos I've seen), but I'd put money on the fact that we're going to lose a lot of the unique features of the TiVo UI, almost certainly Wishlists and Suggestions, but could also imagine we could lose ever-lasting series links, auto-scheduling, maybe even Series Link+ type functionality.  TBH I'd rather have the features than a prettier looking interface (that may or may not be annoying to navigate due to all the big pretty pictures).

I've only seen a couple of pictures of the Horizon UI so probably less than this, but I also would rather have a functional TiVo than a whizz-bang-whallop but less-functional.

It's been a while since I compared TiVo with Sky+/SkyQ, but whenever the subject of series-links and schedule clashes comes up, Sky seems to come up short. I dare say Horizon could be similar.

Yep, I had SkyQ for a year and the series links hadn't moved on much from the original Sky+ version, it did now have a system for linking returning series automatically, but it seems that it is unreliable, possibly there's a manual element to it in the guide data which wasn't always done, making it fairly useless as you still needed to be looking out for returning series and checking if the series link had actually been restored. Auto-scheduling is probably less of an issue these days with 6 tuners, but still nice to have. And yes, I'm also expecting that kind of implementation on the Horizon box, I've also heard a suggestion that the recordings are cloud based, though not sure if that would be the same on the V6 as it does have a hard disk, but could see them switching to that and then just dropping the disk from newer boxes and making it redundant on the older boxes.