cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo Installation

JudeM
Joining in

Hi,

I am moving to a house that has Virgin wifi, but no TV service. There are no coax cables going to where the TV will be. Does TiVo need coax or can it connect to high speed wifi? Are there any solutions that don’t involve running coax through the house? That’s not really an option  

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Live TV from Virgin Media requires a co-ax connection.

You will need a manned install to create a co-ax point near the TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Live TV from Virgin Media requires a co-ax connection.

You will need a manned install to create a co-ax point near the TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly when you refer to your new home having Virgin WiFi, I presume you mean it has Virgin Broadband? It may seem pedantic, but there is logic behind it.

And as another side point, the services in your new home don't depend on what connections there are, but what package you have. Your new home will have VM wall-points, and having those connection points in the locations you want to use your VM equipment (router, TV box etc) is what matters.

All that said, new TV installs since Dec 2020 haven't been to TiVo but to the new TV360 platform unless (and this is the only exception) you have TV-only and no broadband.

If you have VM broadband and add a TV bundle, then you will get the new 360 box. This requires 2 separate connections;

1: A physical co-ax connection which carries the broadcast TV channels. VM is a cable operator, and all their TV boxes need a co-ax cable - this is non-negotiable.

2: An internet connection for OnDemand & streaming. This can either be Ethernet cabled (recommended if at all possible) or wireless to your homehub.

You've alluded to there not being co-ax connection points where you'll need them, in which case you can request a manned engineer installation in order to fit that internal cabling where you'll want it.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JudeM, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to her that there is no coaxial connection ready for the TV service currently. 

As mentioned by the VIP's, you will need one in order for the TV box to work. A manned install will be required and the team can arrange this when booking your order. If you have already placed your order for a self install, you will need to wait until the equipment has arrived before we can convert the order to a manned install. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs