cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVO Box woes

CW47
Tuning in

For quite a while now recorded playback on the TiVO box freezes or jitters for about 20 to 30 seconds then the playback will continue.  However, on occasions it will freeze completely and the only way to continue is to reset the system.

Recently it has started to reset itself without warning at least once a day whereby recorded programmes would only be partially recorded.  This can happen any time of the day.  So could you please send an engineer to check the system and if I'm eligible for an upgrade to V6 then that would be a bonus.

Regards,

CW47

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CW47 wrote:

For quite a while now recorded playback on the TiVO box freezes or jitters for about 20 to 30 seconds then the playback will continue.  However, on occasions it will freeze completely and the only way to continue is to reset the system.

This could be a hard drive problem. You've not mentioned any problems with live TV broadcasts so I presume that's OK - try pausing live TV for a short time and then watch delayed by a short time. This is also a recording and uses your hard drive in the same way - does this behave in a similar way?

Hard drive faults - if this is what yours is - can't be repaired remotely and will, sooner or later, mean a box replacment.

@CW47 wrote:

Recently it has started to reset itself without warning at least once a day whereby recorded programmes would only be partially recorded.  This can happen any time of the day.

A rebooting box is a faulty box, and when you report this fault, you'll likely get your TiVo replaced like-for-like. First off, if you want a V6 you need to have VM broadband, it's a requirement - do you?

When you report the TiVo faulty, you can certainly ask to be swapped for a V6 and the worst that the agent/engineer can say is "no". Your alternative option i to follow the "re-grade" route - look at a wholesale review of your package bundle with a view to recontracting onto a current bundle for the next 18months. And make sure that a box-swap to a V6 is part of the deal. If you take this line, just make sure you're not sold a 360 without full knowledge of the implications & differences.

Fault reporting can be done one of two ways:

1: Call in - 150 from a VM phone or 0345 4541111 from any other phone.

2: Wait here - may be a few days - for staff to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi this is something you need to do by phone as it will involve a contract change the type of package and cost can be negotiatated, bear in mind you need virgins broadband to run the V6. Regards Micky

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CW47 wrote:

This could be a hard drive problem. You've not mentioned any problems with live TV broadcasts so I presume that's OK - try pausing live TV for a short time and then watch delayed by a short time. This is also a recording and uses your hard drive in the same way - does this behave in a similar way?

Hard drive faults - if this is what yours is - can't be repaired remotely and will, sooner or later, mean a box replacment.

@CW47 wrote:

Recently it has started to reset itself without warning at least once a day whereby recorded programmes would only be partially recorded.  This can happen any time of the day.

A rebooting box is a faulty box, and when you report this fault, you'll likely get your TiVo replaced like-for-like. First off, if you want a V6 you need to have VM broadband, it's a requirement - do you?

When you report the TiVo faulty, you can certainly ask to be swapped for a V6 and the worst that the agent/engineer can say is "no". Your alternative option i to follow the "re-grade" route - look at a wholesale review of your package bundle with a view to recontracting onto a current bundle for the next 18months. And make sure that a box-swap to a V6 is part of the deal. If you take this line, just make sure you're not sold a 360 without full knowledge of the implications & differences.

Fault reporting can be done one of two ways:

1: Call in - 150 from a VM phone or 0345 4541111 from any other phone.

2: Wait here - may be a few days - for staff to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Micky,

Thanks for your reply.  We have the full package apart from mobile phone.  Upgrading to a V6 would be a bonus but I'd be quite happy for another TiVO box.

As I have a very serious hearing loss using a telephone is a non entity.  I did try Relay UK to get through to VM but all I had was some weird noises.

Regards,

CW47

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes live TV is ok it only occurs during playback of recorded programmes but a reboot can happen anytime even when we're not there.

Regarding V6 yes we do have VM broadband and also their landline phone but no mobile phone. I will certainly asked if we can have an upgrade to V6 when VM reply to this post as I will wait for the VM staff to reply which might be tomorrow as I believe they do not work on Sundays.

Many thanks and best regards.

CW47

Hi CW47,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your Tv box. 

I am more than happy to look into this for you. 

I will private message you so we can look into this. 

^Martin

Thanks Martin.

Regards,

CW47