cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV picture quality

Bowditch_139
Tuning in

I'm having issues now for sometime with the breaking up of the picture quality when watching TV on any channel, I only have this problem when watching TV through virgin. 

Another issue is when watching anything through virgin while viewing a program, film not only does the images of the program continuously break up with colour pixels issues but the sound is very low and I have to turn up the volume, then when the advertisement come on the sound goes right up and doesn't drop back low again until the program comes back on.

Now I know for sure it's not my TV because when I watch a film through Amazon Prime I haven't no picture or sound issues. 

I have checked all cables, tried unplugging the Virgin box and restarted but this make no difference. 

I have run all the virgin tests but nothing come up as a problem, I truly believe that the virgin box is the cause, can someone please help as this is driving me mad.

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The difference in sound levels is a broadcast issue and affects all TV providers equally, but your pixellation is an easy one to answer... OnDemand & streaming uses the internet and not broadcast TV so would be unaffected...

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a bit longer at this time of year

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Bowditch_139 

EDIT - crossed over with japitts post, sorry.

Sorry to see the issues you are having.

Have you tried a new HDMI cable in case that is causing the issues.

Generally continuing picture break up is a result of either a box or signal fault.

Sign into Check Service status at the top of this page. It shows any local faults, but more importantly you can also run a test against the set top box box. By doing this VM should be able to try and connect to your box and determine what  the problem is. Sometimes this results in them sending out a replacement and/or engineer, which saves a phone call.

.If the above doesn't help then you should call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faultsbut best to call between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc, ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi I've already changed their HDMi cable with no change 😭

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case the advice in the posts above gives you your next steps. It's likely a service fault, so you can either wait here to report it - or call in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tnks for yourself help and advice, hopefully one of the VM team will reply either advising of a service call or replacement box 👍

Hi as has already been advised you will need an engineer to adjust the signal levels between your box and the street cabinet.Regards Micky

Good Afternoon @Bowditch_139, and I'm sorry to hear of the issues with the TV services.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll obtain some details from you to ensure we send an engineer to the correct address, if this is required

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Bowditch_139
Tuning in

Hi thanks for your reply I've managed to sort the breaking up of the picture now , seemed to be a loose connection on the cable into the TiVo box.

Hi Bowditch_139

Thanks for coming back to us. I am glad everything is sorted for you.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill