Menu
Highlighted
MidwichG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

TIVO TV CHANNELS BREAKING UP - PLEASE HELP???

About a week or so ago certain TV channels (BBC 2 HD, Channel 5 HD, Comedy Channel HD and SciFi HD among others) began to intermittently break up at various times during the day. Usually worse at night and early morning. The screen shattered into pixellation and would glitch and frankly become unwatchable. I had an engineer come over yesterday who ran a diagnostic on my Tivo box and said it was faulty. He replaced the Tivo with a new one, but had to leave before it could fully activate after the long set up procedure ehich took about an hour to complete. 

To my frustration I sat down to watch TV in the evening and the same problem occured again. Screen bursting into random pixellation, awful loud glitching etc. Same channels, same problem. 

I called Virgin to report that the fault hadn't been repaired and had a nightmare conversation with two members of the 'technical team' in India who struggled to understand most of what I was saying. They eventually grasped that I needed another visit from an engineer but said one wasn't available until Friday! I have sat with this problem now for the better part of three weeks and I just want it sorted out. I am furious that I have to wait so long again, and what guarantee that this engineer won't identify the problem again?

We can eliminate the Tivo as a problem. Could the fault be in the cable entering my home? Perhaps it has become damaged? The brown box on the wall outside is old now and perhaps the connections need renewing?

Will someone be able to sort this out PLEASE????

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO TV CHANNELS BREAKING UP - PLEASE HELP???

Firstly You only need to make one post on this subject not 4, all that does is cause confusion

it takes about a week for posts to get answered here so your best bet is to phone up with the problem

0 Kudos
MidwichG
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

You sound more irked with my cross posting than with my predicament.
I was 'confused' myself by trying to divine which section was best for this subject, that is why I decided to post in different areas.
Of course I have already phoned to report the problem, as I said in my initial post. I am frustrated that I have to wait another week for an engineer AND a week for someone to read my complaint on here!
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem with posting the same issue in multiple sections is it makes the forums look busier than they are and means the forum team have to go through each one of your posts.

When the engineer came, did he test your cable with a meter? This is to check for signal level issues between your property and the green street cabinet. If they were out of spec, it would require adjustment at the cabinet. Or, the problem could be further up the chain.

I can advise that once your services are back up and running, it might be wise to give Customer Services a call to discuss getting some credit applied to your account for the disruption to your service. You can reach them by using the "thinking of leaving us" option when you call up.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
MidwichG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. The engineer only appeared to carry out a diagnostic on the Tivo itself. He never checked the cable as far as I could see. Which surprised me as I had cleared everything out of the way so he had easy access to the cable input box on the wall. I had also cleared all the bins from outside so he had access there if need be. But he seemed quite keen to leave asap as he indicated he had a very tight schedule.
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

They don't usually need access to the wall point, he should have put a meter on the end of the cable that enters your TiVo box. Hopefully your next engineer will be able to get this sorted out, then I'd ring up and get some credit on your bill for the trouble.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi MidwichG,

Welcome to the community.

I can see the engineer has called out since you last posted, how are things looking today?  If you're still having any trouble with pixelation then give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
cs7ohnson
Tuning in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem.
Replaced the TiVo box. Problem persisted. Replaced TiVo box with TiVo 6 box. Problem persists?
Engineer couldn't find a fault? Time to leave and go to sky for a tv package.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Josh_RW
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi cs7ohnson,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with this too.

I'd like to send another technician to investigate this for you. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stevemorgan
Tuning in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I’ve been having blocks coming up all day when watching Sky News and Sky News HD on one of my V6 boxes

the upstairs one is fine

0 Kudos