Menu
Scfc80
Tuning in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Subtitles out of sync on recordings

I have noticed since Christmas my recordings (5usa and fox and possibly a few more channels) have a problem with the subtitles. Sometimes they are not on,but come back if recording is stopped then restarted, but every recording has subtitles out of sync with the scene played,usually they are too far ahead,sometimes they just skip whole conversations,I am continually having to skip backwards to get them to sync again which is only for a few seconds,it’s so frustrating, I rely on the subtitles, I can’t watch tv like this! What’s going on? Any ideas how to resolve this? Anybody else suffering the same? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Subtitles out of sync on recordings

Hi Scfc80, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having. 

Checking the stats on your box, some of the input levels are showing up in red meaning we are going to need to get an engineer out to you. 

The issue should hopefully resolve after this is sorted but if not we can check this again with further diagnostics until this is sorted. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Scfc80
Tuning in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The engineer has been, no high readings on the box, box is fine ,so it must be a software issue, was offered a new box to try but I would lose all my and my family’s recordings and the envoys day I both think it wouldn’t resolve the issue as my box is fine anyway.

So I am still unable to watch my programmes, desperately need a software update to resolve the issue, could someone at virgin look into this please

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scfc80, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

I'm sorry to hear the engineer visit didn't go to well. 

We're not able to initialise a software update. These are done automatically. 

It would be a new box needed by the looks of things. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Scfc80
Tuning in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Having asked a few friends to check the recordings with subtitles, they too confirm sync problems especially on Fox and 5USA (which I too have)

The software update needs to address this problem but if the programmers are unaware of the problem,how will they know its needs a fix... Who or how does one notify virgin of the problem? I appreciate your help, but it seems like this isn’t going to get this resolved though here and I don’t know how else to get it addressed.

0 Kudos
BrianY
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Being tone deaf I rely on subtitles to watch a TV program without having the sound levels extra loud.
I have found sync problems are not just on recorded programs, all terrestrial stations suffer from this problem!
I believe the software program used to change the spoken word to subtitles can't handle the speed at which the dialogue is spoken.
Although watching a recording of Endeavour from last night this evening the subtitles were very hit and miss at times missing half the spoken dialogue.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scfc80

Thanks for the message

If the engineer advised a new box is needed this would be the best course of action

Kind regards 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Scfc80
Tuning in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

These are subtitles that are only out of sync on recordings,they were ok on live... I understand that quite often subtitles can be out on programmes but this is every recording from 5USA and Fox.(possibly others,these are ones I record most)

The engineer did not think the box was the problem,he said I could try a new box but he and I were in agreement it is the software especially as my box is “perfect,no problems at all”  (it’s only been happening since around Christmas and it has happened on friends and families boxes when I asked them to check) I didn’t take the box as I would lose all my recordings that my family can watch just to end up with the same problem (my family can hear,I cannot) 

0 Kudos
Scfc80
Tuning in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

If anybody else is experiencing this problem, this is what I have been told to try by Adrian (virgin genius 😊) via inbox

“Home>Help & Settings>Settings>Network>Connect to the Virgin Media Service now (ok)

This will take a little time to process but once its confirmed as complete, could you then reboot the box for me please ?

Once back online, make some new recordings and the test the subtitles – I personally noticed a period of around 10 seconds at the start of the recording that were slightly out of sync but this soon corrected itself and the issue did not return.”

I have done this and it has much improved the subtitles,with as Adrian stated a slight delay at the beginning and sometimes after skipping or fast forwarding ,it’s not perfect but is watchable,much improved 😊

0 Kudos
BrianY
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Currently having this same problem on my V6!
Watching a recording with subtitles which come and go for @30sec then starts to show subtitles until I fast forward over any adds, problem comes back as before!
0 Kudos