Menu
Mariae
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Subtitles on demand

Hi,

we have virgin media with the sports package etc. I have a hearing impairment and so have to have subtitles on, however if I forget to record something directly off the tv and want to watch it on demand or I want to watch a movie from sky cinema there are NEVER any subtitles. 

As a result I end up not watching most programmes I want to see as I find it hard to hear. 

What can virgin do to rectify this as really we are not getting a full service as a result and I am missing out on watching many programmes and there must be many other people who also have hearing disabilities that are having the same problem. 

In this day and age, receiving content with the subtitles surely can’t be that difficult to demand from your suppliers and will make a great many of your customers much happier. 

I hope to hear from you.

many thanks

maria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Subtitles on demand

the law regarding subtitles isn't a case of virgin/sky/bt demanding a channel supplies subtitles. a lot of channels are run on a shoe string. they do not have the money to subtitle every show nor are they even legally required to provide full or any subtitling. if such a requirement were made law i think a few channels would bite the dust. some individual shows get a couple of thousand people watching.

by law, the main channels itv bbc etc are required to provide 100 per cent of their broadcasts with subtitles.

if you see the attached ofcom requirements for 2020 it lists plenty of channels required to supply subtitles etc. plenty of channels are not on that list though.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/154921/channels-access-services-2020.pdf

0 Kudos
Mariae
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Subtitles on demand

Why are subtitles on live tv then but not when you want to watch the same program on catch up ? 

Im talking about shows that I know have subtitles that exist because I have seen them on the scheduled broadcast as it’s finen out, they’re just not available when you want to watch it  againon demand. 

0 Kudos