cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner

flaxthejute
Tuning in

Recently the Subtitles on BBC are flashing 888 up in the corner at regular intervals when the subtitles are on. Any clue why this is happening and how to stop it?

Ta

114 REPLIES 114

Definitely not fixed, nearly drove me mad during The Pale Horse.  Doesn't look like VirginMedia are doing anything at all, least of all commenting on this thread or taking any action on it.

Still happening in London SW19. 

stuartgiles
On our wavelength

Yep, still there, nothing has changed

Sorry folks wishful thinking on my psrt. The Pale Horse was another programme spoiled by the stupid blue 888

I was reading though other problems listed and found another post and wonder if its a similar situation as quoted here I've copied and pasted the relevant bits even though it relates to ITV

"Re: Intermittent subtitles

In continuing my discussions with the dedicated TV team, they've been able to identify a bug with ITV subtitles at TiVo's end. This has been raised directly with TiVo who will need to investigate further and work to address this fault within their software. I do apologise that it's taken some time for this to be located and logged accordingly, "

Can anyone check if the situation is similar?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Judging by a post on the BBC One Facebook page its a common issue

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lucy_B

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to thank you all for letting us know about this issue and thanks for your patience whilst we were fully investigating. 

We asked our faults team to investigate this matter, and what we've discovered is that this is an expected behaviour due to a recent change to the new EBU subtitling format. I'm afraid it looks like this is a common problem affecting BBC channels on a few different platforms. 

What this means is that at this time, we are unable to stop the '888' flashing when subtitles are on. Apologies for any disruption this may cause. 

Lucy_B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks for the information.  So who can fix it?

Well!

Does that mean then we just have to put up with it?

If all they do is aplogise for the inconvienience caused then it sounds to me that the Disability Discrimination Act will have to come into force if nothing is done

Catmanv2
On our wavelength

Yeah working as expected doesn't really cover it.  Not working is far more accurate

C

"and what we've discovered is that this is an expected behaviour due to a recent change to the new EBU subtitling format"

So this is a design flaw and your tech guys have agreed that it is acceptable?

Shouldn't VM liaise with BBC and get it sorted? Isn't that why we pay a monthly subscription?

Meanwhile what shall I do? Stick a post it note over where the 888 appears?