cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner

flaxthejute
Tuning in

Recently the Subtitles on BBC are flashing 888 up in the corner at regular intervals when the subtitles are on. Any clue why this is happening and how to stop it?

Ta

114 REPLIES 114

Thank you Chris I'm not holding my breath cos this issue was first raised on 25.12.2019 if you go to the fist page of this thread

Perhaps when the over 75's have to pay their licence fee the bbc will have enough money to fix this problem!

Thanks for the reply, it looks like this has been an issue for a long time and hopefully they get this resolved soon ^Chris

Has Virgin Media actually informed  the BBC that there is a problem?

Is the BBC aware there is this problem?

If not we could be waiting forever. 

When we report it, the Team looking at our side reports it but we we're still dependent on them with the fix I'm afraid.

Regards,

Lisa

Thanks for the reply. 
So it has been reported then?

Just to be clear this is only happening on normal BBC1 and BBC2 through the V6 box
It does not happen on BBC1 HD or BBC2 HD.

Just got this from the BBC today :-

"Hi Xxx

Thank you for letting us know about this issue.

For some time now we’ve had the occasional complaint about ‘888’ appearing on a blue background in the top right of the screen. It should only be occurring on BBC One London SD and BBC Two England SD on Sky and Virgin. All HD, DTT and Freesat are all unaffected.

We are actively investigating the cause of this issue, however we do not have an accurate timescale, due to the complexity within our broadcast chain, when this issue will be resolved.

Hopefully it will not be too long now, as we can appreciate this can be very frustrating when viewing our programmes.

We hope this helps,

Jordan Moreland

BBC Audience Services"

BBC say they will update their Works and Warning page when they have any updates.

Search '888'

Don't hold your breath.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/works-warnings

I'm just wondering if anyone else is STILL getting this?

I am and its sooooo distracting

Yep, still getting it and lost all hope of a solution.  Doesn't seem like anyone who could solve it cares enough to bother.