cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner

flaxthejute
Tuning in

Recently the Subtitles on BBC are flashing 888 up in the corner at regular intervals when the subtitles are on. Any clue why this is happening and how to stop it?

Ta

114 REPLIES 114

Hi Lucy.

Please escalate.

If it's an interaction between the BBC and Virgin Media, then it is not our job to troubleshoot it.

It's still happening.

Every time I watch  Silent Witness, live or recorded as an example

I too can send a video, but  this has already been done. I don't see any use repeating this action as this just backs up what we're saying.

This is only happening on the VM television box.

It is not happening on my TV.

At least can your tech guys give us some actions to narrow things down?

Here's hoping.

ModTeam

Hi Catmanv2 and Ropy, 

Thanks for getting back to us, although I'm sorry to hear that this is still on going. 

We'll certainly escalate this with our support team so that investigations can continue.

Could you possible let us know what region of the UK you're in please; rough area is fine, please don't put any specifics such as full address on here. 🙂

Thanks

Mod Team

Catmanv2
On our wavelength

Thanks

Luton for me

C

Hi Catmanv2, 

Thanks for getting back to us with this information, we'll try to investigate further. 

Thanks 

Megan_L

I'm still getting 888 coming up on Holby City, Death in Paradise and Best Home Cook all on BBC1

I'm in North Herts Thanks for escalating it

I'm in London SW19.

stuartgiles
On our wavelength

Bexley Area 22 for me. 

Did you check the video I sent (as requested)?

ModTeam

Hi all, 

thanks for getting back to me, and thanks @stuartgiles for the video you posted, it was perfect thank you. 

We've gone back to our support team to have this escalated, and have actually now been able to replicate this in the office.

Our team are going to continue to investigate this and we'll hopefully be back in touch soon with an update. 

Thanks

Mod Team

Glad to see it's not just me. I am in Tayside, if you still need to know.

Surrey here. I’m seeing the exact same thing on recordings of “The Goes Wrong Show” from BBC1. 888 appearing similar to the old teletext in the upper right corner at the beginning and end of shows when there are no subtitles at that moment.