cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner

flaxthejute
Tuning in

Recently the Subtitles on BBC are flashing 888 up in the corner at regular intervals when the subtitles are on. Any clue why this is happening and how to stop it?

Ta

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Lucy_B

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to thank you all for letting us know about this issue and thanks for your patience whilst we were fully investigating. 

We asked our faults team to investigate this matter, and what we've discovered is that this is an expected behaviour due to a recent change to the new EBU subtitling format. I'm afraid it looks like this is a common problem affecting BBC channels on a few different platforms. 

What this means is that at this time, we are unable to stop the '888' flashing when subtitles are on. Apologies for any disruption this may cause. 

Lucy_B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

114 REPLIES 114

Aaron2
Well-informed

It's an issue with BBC 1&2, it doesn't happen on other BBC channels. It's related to teletext 888(old channel you'd go to for Teletext subtitles) it appears as if BBC haven't changed this. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

It's just started happening recently, do you know if there's been a change?

Good Morning flaxthejute,

Thanks for your post and I hope the subtitles issue was not too disturbing for your viewing over the festive period.

If this is still on going, have you checked out service status page? To see if this is itemised

Kindest regards,

David

Good suggestion, but nothing seems to cover this in either the status pages or the FAQ

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi flaxthejute.

888 us usually a reference to analogue subtitles rather than the digital ones we provide. Are you sure that the subtitles are enabled via your Virgin box & remote rather than the TV itself? 

Tom 

I'll check that and get back.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks, please keep us posted. 

Tom

Hi. 
this 888 is driving me mad 

the subtitles are on via the box settings and not the TV 

I have the TiVo box 

ive also noticed That when I watch subtitles on pre recorded bbc channels it doesn’t work even when it states that subtitles are on.

Getting the same problem, just started recently out of the blue