Menu
Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Streaming between Tivo boxes

Hi,

I have been trying to watch recorded content from my older TIVO box over the network (SHUB 2) through my V6 box. The programs start fine but fail after 10 minutes or so with a slow network error. I can see other people have had this problem, is there an easy fix? Everyones problem seems to have a different solution or is solved via PM so I'm none the wiser.

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming between Tivo boxes

Hi Bri_G

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages.

We are sorry to hear that you have had issues with recordings. 

Are you able see your additional boxes within Myshows?

Is the connection using an Ethernet cable or over WiFi? 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I take it all back, last night it worked fine but it was late with no other network traffic. 

The tivo is connected with Ethernet as it’s near the router but the V6 is wireless. 

I’ll try later when there’s more people at home and connected. 

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
0 Kudos
Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The problem is still there. I have my laptop, phone and Xbox connected and streaming fails after 15-20 minutes.

It starts by losing audio, then stuttering, then freezing. None of the controls work except stop, then the only option I get is to start from the beginning.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you please provide information on the V6’s WiFi connection?

Navigate on the V6:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > View Network Status >

and report:

Link Status

Signal strength

Connection Speed

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie,

Link Status: Connected (2.4Ghz)

Signal Strength: 60% Good

Connection Speed: 54Mbps

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That identifies your problem. Not only is your connection slow but, being on the 2.4GHz WiFi, liable to interference from your neighbours on the same channel.

For reference, a good WiFi connection (mine) is on the 5GHz WiFi band with an excellent signal strength of 100% and a connection speed of 866Mbps.

You could try using a 5GHz WiFi connection. Although its reach is shorter, it is less likely to suffer interference and will likely be a faster connection. Worth a try to see if it provides a more stable connection.

Failing that, you will need to consider an Ethernet connection for your V6, probably via powerline adapters or better, if possible, a long direct Ethernet cable connection.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie,

That seems to have solved the problem. I struggled to connect the V6 to the 5Ghz band using the password and had to change it to "best performance" from "best compatability" and that did the trick.

Watched several shows now with no problems.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear.

Out of interest, what are the View Network Status figures now you’re on 5GHz? I suspect they will be low compared to mine but stable due to lack of interference from your neighbours.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Bri_G
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

45% (marginal)

216Mbps

It's obviously the speed of the connection that makes the difference to streaming.

0 Kudos