cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound sync issues and picture pixelation/breakup

moggyman
Up to speed

My Mum's old Panasonic TV died recently so I got her a new LG set and hooked it up to her Tivo.

Every now and again, the sound will fall out of sync with the picture so you hear people talking before/after their lips are moving, for example. I'm guessing it's an LG setting somewhere but God knows where.

Has anyone here had similar issues with LG TVs and managed to resolve it?

Also, while I'm here.....I notice that she often gets a kind of brief picture break up or pixelation on the picture where it goes a bit 'blocky' for a second or so. Does anyone know of a likely cause?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @moggyman 

With the sound issues try the following

Go to Settings > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital > and select the 'Dolby Digital to PCM' option.

I would also check that the HDMI cable is seated properly, and maybe try a different HDMI cable, and also try testing different HDMI ports on the LG.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need an engineer visit, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up. TiVo's are also now replaced with V6 which run the same software but on a much newer box, connecting to the internet via your Mum's VM home broadband.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Any ideas about the sound dropping out of sync with the LG TV?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does it happen with both live linear TV, recorded programming and VoD/streaming?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

To be honest, I don't know. Mum hasn't investigated it - she's just put up with it, bless her.

I've only seen it when watching live TV and the 'remedy' is to either power the TV off/on or flip to another channel and then go back to the one being watched. There doesn't seem to be any consistency or way to reproduce it. You're watching something and then the sound just falls out of sync with the picture.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if you can find out.

The only reason for asking - if only linear TV channels are affected, then you can safely presume it's caused, at least in part, by the signal issues I suspect you have.

If it happens on recorded content but more particularly VoD, then that's not a linear broadcast and it points at a video output issue on the TiVo, or video input on the TV.

I'll ask Mum when I next speak to her.

We can remove VOD from the equation though as she never uses it.

According to Mum, it only happens when watching live TV.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @moggyman 

With the sound issues try the following

Go to Settings > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital > and select the 'Dolby Digital to PCM' option.

I would also check that the HDMI cable is seated properly, and maybe try a different HDMI cable, and also try testing different HDMI ports on the LG.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Cheers for that. I'm popping in tomorrow so I'll give that a try. 

I'll check the cable/ports too - should the Tivo be plugged into a normal HDMI port or the eARC port? I can't remember how I set it up now but I will double-check.

Thanks