Menu
bruceicloud
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sound drops out intermittently with new V6 box

I've had the new V6 box for several weeks now. The sound drops out occasionally at irregular intervals. Sometimes after a few seconds, and then this keeps happening with a similar time gap. It loses around 3-5 seconds of TV making it very difficult to follow the programme.

Sometimes the sound disappears completely when I first switch on. If I do a reset of the V6 box the sound often returns, but still with intermittent gaps of a few seconds.

I have tried a new optical sound cable, I have tried new HDMI cables. I have tried changing settings. Everything I try fails to fix the problem.

I know the problem isn't my TV as the sound works perfectly when I watch NOW TV with the NOW TV box connected via HDMI cable. The Virgin V6 box is the problem, and has failed to work ever since the Virgin engineer installed it. He tried to get it to work with two different V6 boxes, but had to give up in the end. He said my TV was incompatible with the V6 box, which I know is untrue as this seems to be a fairly common issue with other V6 users.

When will Virgin find a fix for this problem?

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sound drops out intermittently with new V6 box

Your issue may be caused by signal levels and you should have this checked, but it may also be associated with a long standing issue that Virgin aren't able to rectify that has effected the box's audio output for at least the last 12 months?

The issue is more than likely caused by the V6 box being incompatable with all TVs and as such unfit for purpose. It is basically an inherent fault with the V6 as opposed to it being caused by the device or devices you connect it to.

bruceicloud
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply dante01. It confirms what I suspected. We will all just have to wait and hope Virgin find a fix. 

B

0 Kudos
neil263
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have been having the same problem, sound keeps dropping out intermittently for about a second...Very annoying..When I watch terrestrial TV via the TV aerial it goes away..

0 Kudos
bruceicloud
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Neil

I had this problem for several months, but we had a Virgin engineer round about 6 weeks ago to fix a problem with the router, I mentioned about the sound drop-out issue, and he said that Virgin are aware of a problem with the latest Tivo box and would be issuing a fix possibly in late November. It was a firmware update that would download automatically when available. I have no way of knowing if this has happened yet.

However, when checking our Tivo box that day he said that one of the HDMI cables I had connected wasn't the best 'type' to use. I had bought it myself to connect part of my LG Theatre System to the Tivo. He swapped it for a different HDMI cable, and the sound problem went away!  We have had perfect sound ever since!  I suggest you get in touch with Virgin and get them to come out and look at your set up, and mention the HDMI cable fix.

Good luck!

Bruce

0 Kudos