Menu
Cueball99
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky 1 Aspect Ratio

As we have all said, this is not a signal issue as everyone would be affected.

Not near my TV but believe you should have the box set to panel, and not full screen, and TV to widescreen 16:9.

0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

And as I have said for about the 5th time, there was no problem until a few days ago, so something must have changed at Virgin’s end, because nothing has changed at my end. If your setup is not the same as mine, you might not be able to detect the differences that have affected me. Yes, I know scart isn’t as good as hdmi, but it’s the only way I can route my video through the cable box system, which, again, was working fine until a few days ago. 

Settings changed to PANEL rather than FULL SCREEN makes no difference. Setting TV to 16:9 distorts my video signal and makes pictures that should be 4:3 as 16:9. THINGS WERE FINE UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO. ONLY SINCE THEN HAS THERE BEEN A PERMANENT PROBLEM. The settings I was using a few days ago worked fine, now there is a problem. I have not changed anything, Virgin has. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Try unplugging the scart see what happens

0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If I unplug the scart, I have no picture. I need to view via scart so that I can use my video. As mentioned before, viewing through hdmi is not affected, but that is not how I view TV programmes for most of the time. 

Why is everyone insisting I change settings or un-plug or plug in this or that. Virgin has done something that has changed the aspect ratio. If it only affects the scart signal and I’m the only person who still uses a scart lead, it doesn’t matter. The point is that Virgin did something last week and now the picture is all squashed up on several channels, but not all of them. Why are some affected but not others? Can someone at Virgin run a diagnostic and fix this problem, PLEASE! 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

'Why is everyone insisting I change settings or un-plug or plug in this or that. Virgin has done something that has changed the aspect ratio'

because you are the only person with the problem.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

So Virgin has done "something" that only affects you, pretty clever of them

if you won't troubleshoot nobody can help you

RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

1 - I need the full functionality I have always had, therefore the use of my video, which should be correctly displaying in 4:3 ratio. 

2 - If I change any TV settings I can no longer have TV programmes in 16:9 and video in 4:3, as they are viewed through the same TV channel.  

3 - None of the ‘helpful’ comments have included anyone saying they have checked to see whether they have or haven’t had any of the same problems I have had when using a scart lead, as I know there aren’t any when using hdmi. (Unless you try my setup, you can’t tell me that everything is fine and works as it always has done.) 

4 - So-called ‘trouble-shooting’ does not change the fact that something has changed at Virgin’s end. 

5 - I have tried varying the settings on both the TiVo box and my TV, and no combination works in a way that it used to, so I have in fact ‘trouble-shooted’, or is it ‘trouble-shot’. 

6 - Disconnecting and re-connecting various cables makes no difference to my problem. 

7 - Continually trying the ‘IT Crowd’ solution of trying to turn it off and on again, rebooting, has not helped. 

8 - No suggestions have actually been implementable in such a way that enables me to view TV (and video) in a way that I have done for several years, and wish to continue to do. 

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyone with a TiVo box that can connect with a scart temporarily to see if they experience the same behaviour? My boxes are V6 and V+ so I can't test this for you. Have you noticed the TiVo do any software updates recently? How old is your TV, is it possible that has had a firmware update? Have you tried a different scart lead? Have you tried connecting via scart but bypassing your VCR? Have you tried swapping your set-top boxes around to see if the issue remains where it is or moves to where you place the affected box?

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

So, after over 3 1/2 months this problem has still not been fixed. 

This is not good, to say the least. 

Fix the aspect ratio problem on all the listed channels, please. 

This has gone on for far too long now! 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Problem sorter
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You are wasting people's time, use a phone if you know how to