Menu
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Sky 1 Aspect Ratio

Since Friday morning Sky 1 has been stuck on the wrong screen ratio. This is not the settings on my TV, nor on my Tivo box, as it only applies to Sky 1, channel 110 I think. For instance, Universal Channel is fine and in the correct ratio, but Sky 1 is squashed into 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. Even a programme that is supposed to be in 4:3 ratio gets squashed sideways even further, such as The Simpsons, so there are 2 sets of black bars on both sides of the picture. Please fix this asap as it has been over 32 hours now. 

Thank you for any help you can provide. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky 1 Aspect Ratio

I've just checked Sky1 here and the old 4:3 episode of The Simpsons (with bars) was followed by 16:9 ads - still seeing a problem?

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes, there is still a problem. It is just specific to the channel since Friday morning. Programmes that should be in 16:9 are distorted and squashed into 4:3, and programmes that should be in 4:3 are also squashed into a 1:1 ratio, with 2 black bars on the left and 2 black bars on the right. I can change the settings on my TV so it looks normal but then this distorts other channels or inputs I try and watch. I shouldn’t have to adjust settings for just one channel that was not causing any problems before Friday morning. There is a problem with the signal transmitted by the channel and it needs to be fixed. 

Thank you for any help you can provide with this problem. 

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It's not a broadcast issue otherwise we would all see it, and it's fine for me too.

Have you rebooted the box?

0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have rebooted the box several times. It is a broadcast issue because when I change channel my TV detects what ratio the signal is in and for several channels it says the signal is in 4:3 ratio. 

Between 10:30pm and 10:40pm I checked all channels between 100 and 200, and the following all showed the same problem: 

102-108-109-110-111-113-117-123-124-139-141-145-150-151-152-153-154-155-163-164-165-168-174-176-177-178-179-180-181-183-185-186-187-189-195-199 

If you have your TV set at 16:9, then it is fine, but then that stretches out 4:3 into 16:9, which makes things that should be in 4:3 distorted. As I said before, there was no problem before Friday morning, so something happened then. 

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Which model of TV box do you have and how is it connected to your TV? Definitely not a broadcast issue as there are no other reports of this issue anywhere on the forums, it's working fine for me.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It's been a few years since I used these message boards, but didn't there used to be some people who actually work at Virgin who used to reply to problems and try and fix them from their end?

I know most of you don't have the problem, but I do. Try setting your aspect ratio on your TV to 4:3. If something is broadcast in 16:9, it will automatically adjust the picture so that it is in 16:9, and not a narrow squashed up 4:3. (So my TV says the picture is 'WIDE'.) But if it should be in 4:3, then the picture is shown in the correct format as well. (So my TV says the picture is '4:3'.) Now, what happens with me is that programmes that should be in 16:9 are now a narrow squashed up 4:3 with black bars on either side of the screen. Plus, programmes that should be in 4:3 are now an even narrower squashed up 1:1 with 2 sets of black bars on either side of the screen. THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME AND IT WASN'T HAPPENING BEFORE FRIDAY MORNING!

If anyone who actually works for Virgin still checks these message boards, then please can you try and find out what the problem is. Thank you.

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

There are still staff on these forums but this isn't something they can fix remotely. I'll ask again for the second time, what model of Virgin Media set-top box do you have and how is this connected to your TV? This information is needed to diagnose further.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
RobbieJN
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I’m not sure of the exact name or model number, but it is the TiVo box that can record up to 3 channels at once. I have it connected through a video, so it’s connected with both a scart and an hdmi cable. With the 2nd box in the house, which has the same settings - 16:9 - FULL SCREEN - 1080i, there doesn’t seem to be the same problems, but this just has hdmi connections. 

I may have been wrong with the time this problem started, as it may have been Thursday morning rather than Friday. However, I have not changed any of the settings on the TiVo box, or my TV, or any of the connections I have been using for the last couple of years, but there has been a problem for a few days now on the aspect ratio on Sky 1, and many other channels I have since discovered since yesterday evening, but many are still showing in the correct aspect ratio. 

It shouldn’t matter what settings I have, or how I have things connected, because I haven’t changed anything at my end, but all of a sudden transmitted signals for many channels have changed from Virgin’s end! 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Generally scart will override HDMI, remove the scart it is a low res picture

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos