Menu
Quizzle
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Series link failed after BBC4 channel no. change

Infuriatingly, my Tivo box failed to record some episodes of a BBC4 series this week after previously having recorded the first few without issue. It seemed inexplicable, but after much googling, I found that Virgin Media changed some BBC channel numbers on Tue, 19th Feb. BBC4 is now on 107 and, crucially, it's now HD. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/customer-exclusive/channel-number-changes-march.html

"And the great news is that you won’t have to do a thing, because this has all happened automatically and your SeriesLink+ is unaffected," they said.

This is not true! Although they automatically updated the channel number in the series link, they failed to take into account that not all of us have an HD TV, and some of us want to save space by recording in SD; hence, we avoid recording in HD as far as possible. It's for these reasons that my series link was set to "Get in HD: never". This seems to have resulted in the Tivo box declining to record the remaining episodes broadcast on the new channel number because it is now an HD channel.

Virgin Media: do you have any plans to introduce an automatic solution to correct this issue? Or am I going to be forced to manually check and update every single one of my series links to accept HD recordings? It should have been foreseeable. And it should have been clear that customers in my position would surely have preferred an unexpectedly large HD recording than no recording at all!

Thank you.

Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series link failed after BBC4 channel no. change

Yet not a single failed recording here

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Surely if your series link says to never get the program in HD then it has worked correctly?

Remove that requirement and, presumeably, it’ll work?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

japitts
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

Surely if your series link says to never get the program in HD then it has worked correctly?

Remove that requirement and, presumeably, it’ll work?

I'm glad someone else has pointed this out... "never record in HD" is, arguably, a nasty setting to have where FTA channels are concerned at the moment.

0 Kudos
gareth_r
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The point is that the series link was set to never record HD in order to save space. If you were unaware that BBC4 was now only transmitted in HD, the recording failed. 

I would have had the same problem if I hadn't noticed that "Trapped" was not in the Planned Recordings list.

japitts
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Which box do you have, and what size disk? You'd probably be quite surprised how little extra space HD really takes these days.. yes it takes more, that's undeniable. But it really isn't *that* much more....

0 Kudos
gareth_r
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I checked the disk usage of two recordings of the same 1 hour 15 minute programme:

BBC2 - 1.97GB

BBC2 HD - 5.07GB

savik2
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I, too, have noticed this: I have the "Get in HD" setting defaulting to 'Never' to save on disk space.  (Frankly, my eyesight is not so pin-sharp that I notice the difference, so HD has always seemed to me a bit of a gimmick.  Image quality isn't as important to me as the ability to record a series so I can binge-watch it.  And I'm fairly certain that most kids under the age of 12 really couldn't care less whether or not Peppa Pig is in HD.)  When the first change happened (BBC2), I could change the channel number on my Series+ links to BBC2 England (Channel 625).  But BBC4 has no non-HD regional alternative, so it seems we are now stuck with overinflated recording sizes.  Changes to ITV, Channel 4 and C5 won't be affected in the same way, because they all have +1 alternatives which aren't in HD.  This begs the question, is the failure to provide non-HD alternatives for BBC4, BBC News, CBBC and Ceebeebies a VirginMedia-driven decision, or is it down to the BBC?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@savik2 wrote:

I, too, have noticed this: I have the "Get in HD" setting defaulting to 'Never' to save on disk space.  (Frankly, my eyesight is not so pin-sharp that I notice the difference, so HD has always seemed to me a bit of a gimmick.  Image quality isn't as important to me as the ability to record a series so I can binge-watch it.  And I'm fairly certain that most kids under the age of 12 really couldn't care less whether or not Peppa Pig is in HD.)  When the first change happened (BBC2), I could change the channel number on my Series+ links to BBC2 England (Channel 625).  But BBC4 has no non-HD regional alternative, so it seems we are now stuck with overinflated recording sizes.  Changes to ITV, Channel 4 and C5 won't be affected in the same way, because they all have +1 alternatives which aren't in HD.  This begs the question, is the failure to provide non-HD alternatives for BBC4, BBC News, CBBC and Ceebeebies a VirginMedia-driven decision, or is it down to the BBC?

The BBC & all other channel owners have agreements with Virgin that they can change at any time. Virgin is the first provider to now have all their boxes HD compliant, so there is effectively no need to simulcast channels in two formats. As a result, the BBC are saving licence fee money by removing the SD versions of their channels. There are also others (such as Gold, Freesports & Smithsonian) that are converting to, or only launching in HD on Virgin.

Sky is now relegating all SD channels with an HD alternative to the bottom of their EPG. On Freesat HD boxes the SD versions of channels are also being dropped & have to be tuned manually if required.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped