Menu
Shredder87
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Series Link - stop recording previous series

When choosing series record from the TV listings, the V-box automatically records any previous series as well.  This is more of a hindrance than a convenience, so please can I urge you to change this feature as it's the worst thing about owning a V-box compared to Sky.  Yes I know I can go search through the recording options then choose 'new series only' but having to do this every single time is tiresome.

Not only that is quickly fill up your V-box until there is no space to record what you actually wanted in the first place.  For example last weekend I wanted to record the Snooker final on the BBC.  I set the recording to series link as it was on twice that day.  My V box then decided to record every snooker programme over the last 2 weeks resulting in hundreds of hours of unwanted recordings.  My V box became 100% full, and the final which I wanted to record in the first place only had 2 minutes worth.  A disaster !

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link - stop recording previous series

@Shredder87 wrote:

When choosing series record from the TV listings, the V-box automatically records any previous series as well.  This is more of a hindrance than a convenience, so please can I urge you to change this feature as it's the worst thing about owning a V-box compared to Sky.  Yes I know I can go search through the recording options then choose 'new series only' but having to do this every single time is tiresome.

No it doesn't. The default for series links should be "new episodes only", and most channels now have good enough EPG data that the "first aired date" is populated pretty well. This field is absolutely king as far as TiVo scheduling goes, and stops the box from doing what you've described. If your series links are set to "new & reruns" or "record everything", then it's a 30second job to change this to "new only"

@Shredder87 wrote:

Not only that is quickly fill up your V-box until there is no space to record what you actually wanted in the first place.  For example last weekend I wanted to record the Snooker final on the BBC.  I set the recording to series link as it was on twice that day.  My V box then decided to record every snooker programme over the last 2 weeks resulting in hundreds of hours of unwanted recordings.  My V box became 100% full, and the final which I wanted to record in the first place only had 2 minutes worth.  A disaster !

See also above, but the box can't record old progrms, only live broadcast TV. I'm not sure what gives you the impression the box is recording progrms that have been & gone.

Shredder87
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The default of recording 'new shows only' isn't happening to me, I have to manually go in a turn it on.  Is there somewhere within the settings to set this as default ?

I started recording the New series of Fifth Gear a couple of weeks ago as 'new series only' but now series 1 etc have started to pull through.  I think it is very hit and miss affair.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Home > help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Series Link

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Graham_A wrote:

Home > help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Series Link

All new series links will then be new only, however it's not retrospective and any series links already set up would need to be changed

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped