Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: STV Player is a Downgrade

@Sandiemcg wrote:

Ok so the key questions are....why is virgin 'forcing' the stv player on us now?? .

It's part of the new agreement with STV:
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/stv-and-virgin-media-agree-four-ye...

STV and Virgin Media have today signed a four-year strategic partnership which creates increased value for both businesses and will see Virgin TV customers in Scotland having access to fully regionalised versions of STV in HD for the first time.

The agreement, which results in a new commercial relationship between the two companies, includes the launch of STV Player on Virgin Media’s set top boxes, also for the first time, as well as an enhanced marketing commitment from Virgin Media on STV’s services.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Sandiemcg wrote:

Or do we need to start recording shows as there is no other option?

The V6 box and TiVo software is designed to record programs and watch at leisure.

Catch Up is time limited. Recordings are not.

Why is it so odious to have to record what you watch?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 13 of 24
Flag for a moderator

As far as I am concerned. sometimes all 3 tuners are in use on overlaps so I can't record x programme and so have to use Catch Up. 2nd, if you are away and then return, find out a programme was on and so the only way to watch it is to use Catch Up.

For obvious reasons you can't change your location, to, say, London, like you can in other systems/apps, so get stuck with STV Player. The Press Release was interesting as it's basically nonsense-speak - the new contract offers nothing to the Virgin user, as the STV Player has always been available on the web and there is no additional material to Virgin customers.

You can probably jump the ads by letting the programme run past each set of ads (go away, do something else) and then start playing it again from the beginning.

Sandiemcg
Tuning in
Message 14 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I would prefer it if Ernie would keep his un useful comments to himself thank you 

Sandiemcg
Tuning in
Message 15 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben thanks for the comments is there no way around having to watch ads on catch up 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Shugg wrote:

As far as I am concerned. sometimes all 3 tuners are in use on overlaps so I can't record x programme and so have to use Catch Up. 2nd, if you are away and then return, find out a programme was on and so the only way to watch it is to use Catch Up.

For obvious reasons you can't change your location, to, say, London, like you can in other systems/apps, so get stuck with STV Player. The Press Release was interesting as it's basically nonsense-speak - the new contract offers nothing to the Virgin user, as the STV Player has always been available on the web and there is no additional material to Virgin customers.

You can probably jump the ads by letting the programme run past each set of ads (go away, do something else) and then start playing it again from the beginning.

It's worth pointing out that as the STV Player uses the broadband connection rather than the older On Demand system, you can use it even when all the TiVo or V6 tuners are in use. Same as the other apps like iPlayer or Netflix.

ITV Catch Up currently requires a tuner is free to watch anything - although that will change once all On Demand is moved over to the new version of Virgin's On Demand system that's currently used by Sky Cinema On Demand.

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 17 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I don't have Virgin broadband and it still works. However, if all 3 tuners are operating I still get a message that I can't access the player unless I stop one of the tuners. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Shugg wrote:

Interesting, I don't have Virgin broadband and it still works. However, if all 3 tuners are operating I still get a message that I can't access the player unless I stop one of the tuners. 

Oh OK, not what I would have expected. How are trying to access it? Via the Apps & Games, On Demand or via the backwards EPG?

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 19 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I was havering. I've re-checked the STV Player and you can indeed launch it while the 3 tuners are in operation, same with the BBC iPlayer. What's poorly thought out is the target from the EPG. Go to a STV programme, select it, Watch from CatchUp, it just goes to the homepage of the STV Player which is useless. Would be just the same if you selected the app and went in that way. In addition you can no longer start from where you left off. Improvement?

Nothing to do with Virgin, but the app is poorly designed as it doesn't have a Day guide so to find a programme you have to Search for it.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 20 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Excellent use of "havering" (it's not just a borough to the east of London), please continue with the celtic dialect in future posts 🙂

0 Kudos