Menu
Highlighted
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

STV Player is a Downgrade

Thanks Virgin for imposing ads on us on Catch Up. The new STV Player to which most content from ITV (eg, Coronation St) has been posted is just a front end to an already existing web player. Unlike normal Catch Up you cannot wind through the ads, which makes it unusable. Guess I'm now going to have to record everything from STV.

If this happens with all other Catch Up or On Demand services I'm ditching Virgin.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: STV Player is a Downgrade

The player like all tivo apps is written by the company who's content it displays, and ads don't make it unwatchable try making a cup of tea like they did in the olden days

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I guess you have to trade off the extra content available through the app with the inconvenience of a few ads.

Personally, this is a non-issue for me as I record everything and watch at convenience. I’m sorry but I simply don’t understand why people rely on Catch Up.

Shugg
Up to speed
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yeh, I get the point, but I'm not seeing any extra content that I can't get by just going to the ITV Player on my Fire TV or whatever. In addition, the recently watched no longer integrates with it. The STV Player now has the same buffering issues that the BBC iPlayer has. Progress?

Sandiemcg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with you, STV player is hopeless and as you note we are being 'forced' to watch the adverts. I'm wondering if those who stay in England are having ads 'forced, on them when using ITV hub, does anyone know?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

England doesn’t have the equivalent ITV Hub app.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Sandiemcg wrote:

I totally agree with you, STV player is hopeless and as you note we are being 'forced' to watch the adverts. I'm wondering if those who stay in England are having ads 'forced, on them when using ITV hub, does anyone know?

STV is a seperate ITV company, & one of the few that hasn't been gobbled up by the Granada/Carlton mega-franchise OFCOM has allowed to proliferate this side of the border. You are lucky to have a local ITV with local programmes. We don't get them anymore down here. As for STV player, I suppose STV want to maximise their advertising revenue, & stopping you skipping ads is another way of getting more "bang" for their buck.

As mentioned before, ITV uses Virgins playout servers for their material, not the ITV Hub app.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sandiemcg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but I'm not sure I follow, on the TiVo box we used to use itv hub (not via the app selection) for catch up and it is still there for the non prime shows. If as you say there is no itv hub for use in England what is used and does it prevent fast forward thru any adds?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Sandiemcg wrote:

Thanks but I'm not sure I follow, on the TiVo box we used to use itv hub (not via the app selection) for catch up and it is still there for the non prime shows. If as you say there is no itv hub for use in England what is used and does it prevent fast forward thru any adds?

It uses Virgins now dated broadcast playout system. This uses servers based at the local cable headend, & selecting a programme produces a unique DVB-C broadcast stream targetted only at the network section you are located in, & which only you have access too, hence your box uses a TV tuner to access the programme & not the internet. This system cannot differentiate between adverts & programme content, so you can use FF at any time you like.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sandiemcg
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Ok so the key questions are....why is virgin 'forcing' the stv player on us now?? .....what do you guys use to watch ITV 1 programmes like coronation st via catch up?   Additionally is there anyway we can 'bypass' being forced to use the  stv player in order to minimise amount of time spent on ads, I.E being able to fast forward thru them? Or do we need to start recording shows as there is no other option?

thanks