cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace TiVo's HDD

Chaslington
On our wavelength

The HDD noise from my TiVo box is loud. I don't mean loud as in the HDD is going wrong, I mean a normal kind of noise you'd expect from a healthy sounding HDD.  But that's my problem, even the quietest of HDD's is annoying to my ears.

So, I was wondering, is it possible to replace the HDD with a SSD instead?

I know, I know, Virgin cut costs and it's not a logical business choice, but, I'm willing to pay for the upgrade out of my own pocket.

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, you cannot.

The HDDs are hard coded to the individual box. If you replace it the new one won’t be recognised. It’s also TiVO patented kit, so making this type of mod would require the manufacturer to approve it.

TiVO boxes are being phased out now anyway as they are past their sell by date technology wise. TiVO V6 remains fully supported for those that wish to continue with the platform.

The new Horizon (V360) platform boxes also have HDDs, but only because the operation they were designed to use, cloud recording, is not currently permitted by the broadcasters VM carries.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If possible relocate the box in a cupboard and use the remote in RF mode to control it. In a worse case scenario you'll have to pay VM £25 to replace the coaxial cable with a longer one and buy a longer HDMI cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection