cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote control with larger buttons for elderly parents

Aishie
Joining in

My parents both aged in their 80’s struggle with small buttons and changing tv stations. Can I please discuss how to get them a simplified remote control with larger buttons  compatible with their virgin media box 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Aishie, thanks for the message and we should be able ,to get this ordered for you. Have you been able to get this resolved or do you still require assistance with this? Chris. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I'm aware, VM can send out a "high-contrast" remote on request, but it's the same size as the existing one and I don't believe the buttons are any bigger.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
@japitts is correct. VM do not have a large button remote control. They do have a high contrast control - black on white usually for people with low vision.

I have heard that third parties might have large button remote controls that are said to be compatible with VM set top boxes but I have no experience of them or whether are are indeed compatible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for the information, I’m happy to purchase a remote but can’t find one which supports the horizon box .! 

I will try phoning virgin media  again to try confirm this . 

It’s hard to see my parents struggle with something which should be easy but alas that’s where we are , so anything I can do to make their life easier and give back the joy of using the tv would be great. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've used a One4All remote with my V6 for many years - in your case I'd suggest a browse of https://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes 

They often need "training" to work with the TiVo/6-specific controls, but this is no biggie - just means working through the "training" mode on the O4A with each button in turn.

I don't see any reason why Horizon should be any different, but some of the voice bits might not work. Best ask in the V360 forum here 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Aishie, thanks for the message and we should be able ,to get this ordered for you. Have you been able to get this resolved or do you still require assistance with this? Chris. 

Help please would be much appreciated 

Hi Aishie, I will send you a private message. Chris