cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorded programmes picture and sound freezing and breaking up on playing

CurlyWurly2
Joining in

A few months ago my Tivo box occassionally froze while playing recorded programmes.

The situation has now got so bad that every time I record something the programme will freeze at various points when being replayed. The playback occassionally freezes some badly that I have to completely power down the box and restart then attempt to replay beyond the problem point.

This issue is only with recordings. Live TV has no issues.

I've reset the box, deleted and permanently deleted recordings which only seems to make the situation worse.

I believe (from reading some of the posts with a similar issue) that my disk is falling apart.

Another issue I have will be if the disc/box is to be replaced I have a lot of recordings still to watch and want to keep. Is this possible?

16 REPLIES 16

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi @CurlyWurly2 

It sounds like a hard drive issue, it's possible the actuator arm is randomly sticking, which will require a change of box.

But I'm sure one of the Forum Team will be able to confirm it better than me.

As for your recordings: I don't think there is any way currently to transfer them to the new box, so you may end up losing them, unfortunately.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @CurlyWurly2 

What happens when you pause live TV for a few seconds and then play it back?

If this also freezes/breaks up it confirms your hard drive is on the way out and your box will need replacing.

Unfortunately there is no way to transfer recordings or series links between boxes.

Make a note, or take photos of your current series links so you can set them up again ona  replacement box. You might find some of your recordings will be available on catch up or on demand.

It sounds like you should call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faultsbut best to call between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc.

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

A member of the Forum team may pick this up for you, but it may take a day or two.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @CurlyWurly2,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your TIVO box.

Just wanted to check in and see how it is going? Please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Pausing live TV and then playing does not appear to produce the issue on the trials I've done.

The issue always seems to occur on recordings. Sometimes well into a long recording or early into shorter recordings.

I've been trying to reproduce the issue by pausing live TV and then playing but this has not produced the issue.

It has only (to date) occured in recordings.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @CurlyWurly2,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your TV services.

I will send you a private message now, please get back to me so I can help you.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming your details in a private message @CurlyWurly.

An engineer booking has been made for this, please check your appointment to check the date and time.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

I can find no appointment in my account. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Hi @CurlyWurly2,

You can find and manage your appointment via your My Virgin Media online account.

Let us know if you're struggling to find the details.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!