cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconnecting old Tivo as V6 Faulty

Jimbo-P
Tuning in

Hi,

So I got the green screen of death on my V6 box, have reported this and have an engineer appointment booked for next Saturday. 

I still have an old Virgin Tivo box from once having multi room. Is it possible for me to reconnect this and use until I can get my V6 box replaced next week? I'd really like to watch the football later 🙂

Thanks in advance

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jimbo-P wrote:

Nail on head, I got a 7400 - I'm just speaking to a very helpful lady at tech support who is trying to activate the Tivo box for me as we speak, fingers crossed.

I would be very interested to know if you get success with this, for the benefit of other users or threads that I (or other regular users) may be advising on in the future.

As for the helpful answers, you should be able "unmark as answer" if you feel the inclination.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Although I can understand why you'd suggest doing this, it's not something VM normally offer. Your TiVo will have been deactivated, and you're effectively asking them to deactivate a box that you then want replaced.

Depending what channel your football game is broadcast on, you could try using the TV Go app or Sky Sports app on a compatible mobile device.

TV Go will let you watch BT Sports & Eurosport, the Sky Sports app will show you any Sky Sports channel.

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/go-control 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Japitts, thanks for replying.

To clarify, I meant connecting the old TV box to the same terminal which the faulty V6 box is connected to, not to reactivate the redundant terminal.

It's in progress, and the Tivo box seems to have been able to connect to download a software update which is now installing. I'll let you know how I get on, but one thing from this experience is that despite the nostalgia of pulling the old box from the cupboard, its still a ghastly piece of hardware!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's not the co-ax wall points that are activated or not. It's the individual set top boxes.

When your TiVo's subscription was deactivated, the box itself was removed. The boot sequence may go so far through, but will probably fail with an error sooner or later.

7400 Activation Failure is one of the most likely.

Nail on head, I got a 7400 - I'm just speaking to a very helpful lady at tech support who is trying to activate the Tivo box for me as we speak, fingers crossed.

If not, I'll have to watch the match at the pub, what a shame!

Thanks for your help and advice, appreciate it 👍 

And I somehow manged to mark my own reply as helpful when I intended to mark yours... sorry about that. Clearly the coffee hadn't kicked in!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jimbo-P wrote:

I would be very interested to know if you get success with this, for the benefit of other users or threads that I (or other regular users) may be advising on in the future.

As for the helpful answers, you should be able "unmark as answer" if you feel the inclination.

Hi Jimbo-P,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry you had issues with your TV box and have to wait for a technician causing you to be unable to watch the football on a big screen, what was advised when you asked to reconnect your old TiVo?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

They attempted to auth the old box at your end however after a few attempts it became apparent that it wasn't possible.  Your tech Lauren 61198 visited on Sat to replace the V6 with a new one and was really helpful - everything up and running and working sweet now so we're all good!

Thanks 

James

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @jimbo_P,

Thanks for the update, I am glad it is working.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide