cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Random pixellation on all channels

nigelss
Dialled in
I have had this problem for around two years(?) on some channels. I have tried to get it resolved on various occasions without success, including a change of TIVO box. I think I have isolated the problem in my case and have given up trying to get any action out of Virgin Media because I cannot get the message through to the overseas call-centres. I do have a workaround which might work for others too.

Background:
The TIVO box has three tuners which are numbered as 0,1, and 2 on the Diagnostics screen, so I will use those numbers in what follows.

When I reboot the box, it defaults to using tuner 1 for live TV. Diagnostics shows tuner 0 as "Not Tuned. General Tune Error", and tuner 1 with the live TV channel number being watched, e.g. 603 for Sky News, 607 for CNN. (Tuner 2 not relevant for now).

I can guarantee I will get occasional pixilation on those channels. There are others, but don't ask me to list them. If I go into Diagnostics, I will see the tuner 1 "RS Corrected" count sitting at 0 but regularly changing to a positive number and back to 0. By an amazing coincidence, these changes are around the same frequency I see pixilation on-screen.

My workaround is to get the TIVO box to use tuner 0 instead. To do this:

1. Flick live TV up one channel to whatever, pull up the programme information, and "press OK to record this program." This ties up tuner 1.

2. Change back to the channel I want to watch (e.g. 603) and check Diagnostics to see if it is allocated to Tuner 0 or Tuner 2. If on Tuner 0, I can exit Diagnostics, sit back and enjoy unpixellated TV.

3. If on Tuner 2, exit Diagnostics and flick down a channel to whatever, pull up the programme information, and "press OK to record this program." This ties up tuner 2.

4. Change back to the channel I want to watch. It will use Tuner 0 and all will be well.

5. At some point later, be sure to delete the unwanted recordings made by this dodge.

Just for the record, the SNR on tuner 0 is usually 41db, tuner 1 is usually 35db, and tuner 2, 36db.

This dodge is a pain in the backside to do but it works for me. As the same channel works fine on tuner 0 but not on tuner 1, and the problem has been repeated on two tivo boxes, it seems unlikely that the fault is with the equipment. The fact that tuner 1 exhibits RS Corrected errors and tuner 0 does not for the same channel suggests it must be a signal level problem, as does SNR of 35db (tuner 1) vs 41db (tuner 0).

I have tried explaining the above, step by step, to VM and it is hopeless. The last time I tried, I spent hours on the phone explaining this twice to two different people and asked for an engineer to check the levels. Request refused. The second person I spoke to said the information would be passed on for investigation and promised me that someone would call me back. This never happened.

Like I said at the start, I have had this problem for a very long time and do not expect it will ever get sorted out. I have given up banging my head against this particular wall. Hope this helps somebody! If you have the same problem and try the above, please post what you find.
5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nigelss 

I've moved your post to a new thread. And this is probably as good a place as any for my standard answer to pixellation queries....

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them. In your case I suspect your box has a fault.

If you're having no success with calling this through, you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My box has been rebooted many many times to no effect. It is not an existing issue in my area, I think it is something to do with the way the signal is split across the tuners. I do not think the box has a fault because the equipment was replaced a while ago. Same problem.

I put the phone down ten minutes ago after spending another 40 minutes on the line to VM. The remote diagnostics say everything is fine so VM want to charge me £99 to send out an engineer to take a look. I said no to that because I strongly suspect what will happen is the engineer will see the problem and say "change the tivo box" again. Been there done that.

The mystery is why is the same channel fine on tuner 0 but not on tuner 1?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The incoming signal being split between the tubers, is a tuning function. So if that's not behaving as it should, the box is faulty.

The £99 you've been quoted is the old rate for a non-fault callout, but was recently reduced to £25

Wait here for a couple of days for the staff team to pickup.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The £99 charge was quoted to me today by a VM agent in a UK callcentre. Perhaps someone should tell the agents it has been reduced...

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Nigelss

Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your TV service. How has the service been since your post?  If it is a fault with the box there will be no charge but you are right that if the equipment needs swapping then we may do so.

Let us know if you need further help.

Cheers,

Corey C