cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random pixellation on all channels

SimonMcGlary
On our wavelength

I'm having an issue that I have had in the past, and I am convinced I know what it is. It gets particularly worse after heavy rains as some of the connections in the big distribution cabinet in the street are slightly lower than ground level. It turned out the last time there was a problem with the connection out in the street as the SNR figure was showing incorrectly as well. the engineer that came out showed me how to check it but I have forgotten the value it should be showing. It currently fluctuates between 39dB and 41dB. The AGC signal level is siting at 78%. Got to try and get this through to whoever is on the other end of the line when I call as using online messaging isn't helping much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a single reboot isn't solving a pixellation issue, there's clearly an underlying issue. And yes, the (especially offshore) C/S are unlikely to appreciate the detail you've mentioned.

I'm not entirely certain what the remote diagnostics on TV faults check for, but AFAIK they're a spot-check of the signal levels at the time of testing. If this issue is sporadic, it may not be helping unless you report it when it's happening.

The forum staff should pick this thread up in a day or two.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a single reboot isn't solving a pixellation issue, there's clearly an underlying issue. And yes, the (especially offshore) C/S are unlikely to appreciate the detail you've mentioned.

I'm not entirely certain what the remote diagnostics on TV faults check for, but AFAIK they're a spot-check of the signal levels at the time of testing. If this issue is sporadic, it may not be helping unless you report it when it's happening.

The forum staff should pick this thread up in a day or two.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SimonMcGlary,

Thank you for your post, and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you've been facing some issues with your TV connection and service lately. Are these ongoing today? If so, can you please check our Service Status page in the first instance to ensure this isn't linked to a known area impacting fault that we're currently working on?

Along with this, can you confirm if your broadband and/or landline service is also impacted along with any other diagnostics and troubleshooting that you've carried out?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Service status is good and broadband and phone are okay, I have included a video scrolling through the diagnostics page. It hasn't been too bad today but then it has been much drier the last couple of days. Heavy rain certainly does seem to make a difference making the pixellation much more noticeable.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Edited reply: Are you calling through to faults-C/S when the symptoms are apparent?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi SimonMcGlary, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I appreciate this problem can be worse at times so we would want to do all we can to help. 

I have tried to take a look from our side but I am afraid I have been unable to locate your account from your community details 

With this being the case, I am going to pop you over a private message now and we can go from there. 

The message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of the page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

3 examples of the problem

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi SimonMcGlary,

Does the pixilation only happen on 5Star or on other channels too?

VM's TV channels are grouped in muxes, rather like Freeview.

Does the pixilation also occur on the following channels :-

Talking Pictures, 5 Select, 5USA +1, Channel 5+1,  5USA, CBS Drama, More4, E4 and E4+1? They are carried on the same mux.

If so that would indicate a signal fault and most likely require an engineer visit if all of your cables, especially the white coaxial are snug and tight and free from kinks.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Top to bottom channels are 5Star, 5Star plus 1 and BBC1. All channels are affected.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like a signal fault then.

In post-6 above, Natalie_L from the VM staff team offered to take some details via Private Message to progress this fault for you.

I'd recommend picking that up and responding, otherwise calling into faults as per previous posts.