cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of non usage of TV

AnneSewell
Joining in

Having spentt over 5 hours now on chat and then WhatsApp I am still no closer to getting proof of non usage from 22nd May 2021.  I was told I was being passed to Customer Services then told it wasn't Customer Services I was speaking to.  The advice I was given on a telephone call before Christmas was incorrect and has cost me a months rental and now that I need evidence of non usage it seems to be overly complicated.  The billing system shows usage but because the TV is part of the bundle and therefore the costs - it does not prove non usage.  

I need to show evidence of non usage of TV in order to get a refund on the TV licence for my disabled sister.  How can I get this evidence from you please?

18 REPLIES 18

Will TV license ask for proof that you haven’t watched tv prior to purchasing a license if there’s been a gap between licenses registered at an address? 

Not as far as I'm aware. But, if paying by installments (weekly, monthly) your first 6 months will be more expensive as you are required to be 6 months in advance. This means you will effectively pay for your new (or repeat) licence in six months rather than 12 so payments will be double for the first 6 months.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited

'If someone else is living at the property then if you have a TV, PC, Laptop, smartphone or tablet, or any other device that is capable of receiving either live or recorded (including catchup) BBC broadcasting whether used or not you are required, by law, to have a colour TV License.'

Not too sure if that's correct, I was under the impression that if you only watch catch-up or on demand on any channel other than BBC or IPlayer or only Stream, rent, or buy movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus or Now TV.
Watch DVDs or Blu-rays.
Or play video clips through services like YouTube or play video games you don't need a licence.
I guess it's up to them to prove you don't watch live tv or BBC, I'm not sure if they can ask Virgin or Sky for info on what you watch.
Some of the rules are crazy like if you have a licence for your home address it covers you if you have for example a friend who has no TV so no license you can watch live TV on your smartphone at your friend's address using its own power (battery), but if you plug the phones power lead into his plug socket you need a separate licence completely!

Supposedly it is being abolished in 2027 when the Royal Charter expires. Not holding my breath though.

@Macca72 wrote:

'If someone else is living at the property then if you have a TV, PC, Laptop, smartphone or tablet, or any other device that is capable of receiving either live or recorded (including catchup) BBC broadcasting whether used or not you are required, by law, to have a colour TV License.'

Not too sure if that's correct, I was under the impression that if you only watch catch-up or on demand on any channel other than BBC or IPlayer or only Stream, rent, or buy movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus or Now TV.

Taken directly from the TV Licencing website:

FAQ on TV Licensing website 

If you watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), or use BBC iPlayer*, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Quite confusing as the TV Licence website FAQ also contains this.

When don’t I need a licence to watch TV?
You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch live on any channel, TV service or streaming service, or use BBC iPlayer*.

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Macca72 wrote:
Quite confusing as the TV Licence website FAQ also contains this.

When don’t I need a licence to watch TV?
You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch live on any channel, TV service or streaming service, or use BBC iPlayer*.

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

The rule is you cannot watch ANY BBC content without a licence, be it live, streamed or recorded. With all other services this restriction only applies to watching live content.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When the charter is up and the TV License is supposed to be abolished, there'll be a new gimic; a RADIO LICENSE. Now that will be fun chasing after every car, van, minibus, coach...... 

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adelphiaUK wrote:

When the charter is up and the TV License is supposed to be abolished, there'll be a new gimic; a RADIO LICENSE. Now that will be fun chasing after every car, van, minibus, coach...... 

Ahh! But what is defined as “radio”? You can get radio stations on your phone, your tablet, your smart speaker. Car radios are now being developed that can seamlessly use both DAB/FM broadcast radio & 4G/5G internet services. So you can tune to a station & never know how it is sourced by the “radio” in your car.

And you thought the TV licence was complicated ?🤣

PS. The BBC did have a separate radio only licence until it was scrapped in 1971, including the requirement for an in-car licence

https://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/national/23056701.bbc-centenary-history-tv-licence-fee/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@nodrogd wrote

PS. The BBC did have a separate radio only licence until it was scrapped in 1971, including the requirement for an in-car licence

https://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/national/23056701.bbc-centenary-history-tv-licence-fee/ 

What we're they thinking?!

Chris (VMO2 Customer)