0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline

@StanV wrote:

What can you do with the power line kit and are there any easy instructions

A powerline kit enables you to have a wired ethernet connection anywhere within your house by using the household mains wiring. Typically you have one powerline device connected to your router with an ethernet cable and then you plug in further powerline devices in whichever rooms require internet access. Some of these extra units may also have wireless transmitters and so you can extend your wireless into rooms that might otherwise be too far from the router to work well. There are several different sorts of powerline systems around and so you will need to look at the instructions for final details. I have a TP-LINK system. There is one unit designed specifically to be connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Then I have four further units to spread around the house. Each of these has two ethernet sockets and wireless capability although, to keep things in my house simple, I only have the wireless enabled on one of the remote units. I prefer where possible to use wired connections as they tend to be more stable, especially for streaming TV, Radio and Music. I hope that helps at least a little bit.

StanV
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I got the free powerline from Virgin and I have it plugged into my tivo box in the front room and my hub3. I have a V6 box in the conservatory and wondered how to stream from that to the tivo.

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stan - the Powerline box in the front room should be connected only to the router. The TiVo in the front room should also only be connected to the router (the hub3)

The V6 in the conservatory should then be connected to the other powerline unit. 

Once connected in this way it should be possible for the TiVo boxes to see each other and for you to watch anything recorded on one to watched on the other. I am in the fortunate position of having two V6 boxes and so this is straight forward. I never tried this with the older V4 boxes.

Both TiVos do need to be connected to the Virgin Cable network as well as your home network.