Menu
mcdryburn69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Power off

Hi

Is there any way to change the settings so that when I hit the power off/standby button on the remote the tiro box immediately powers to standby rather than waiting for 3 or 4 seconds before it switches to standby?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power off

@mcdryburn69 wrote:

Hi

Is there any way to change the settings so that when I hit the power off/standby button on the remote the tiro box immediately powers to standby rather than waiting for 3 or 4 seconds before it switches to standby?

Thanks

On the V6 pressing standby twice puts the box straight into standby. Give that a go.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
mcdryburn69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah thanks I know it does that.  I’m trying to get my harmony elite remote to do a routine but it only seems to allow the standby button to be pressed once in the routine and of course there’s then the annoying 5 (or so) second delay until the box automatically switches to standby.

it would be useful if there was a power management option to select one click standby.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

... and, if there was a one click option, and you pressed it by mistake .......

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mcdryburn69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

......the box would switch off.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@mcdryburn69 wrote:
......the box would switch off.

Which a lot of customers do when intending to press the guide button (I’ve done it myself on occasions). That is why the second press was put in there.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mcdryburn69
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick replies.

I understand why the second

press is there and am not advocating removing it for everyone.  However some customers may prefer one press standby and so what I’m suggesting is a settings option to allow customer choice.  

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm aware the message came in when the boxes added the lower power states that the EU regulation require.

And as Eco Low Power, which I'm sure is the default for a new box, will stop Live TV from being buffered for the rewind option, stop Suggestions from being recorded, and means the box takes the longest time to wake up again (on the older TiVo box especially), then the 'get out' to the standby was included.

For most people who do want the box to go into standby, it doesn't really affect anything. As neither the TiVo box or the V6 currently have HDMI CEC enabled then the standby wait doesn't prevent you switching to other audio or video sources, or just turning your kit off whilst it goes into standby.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@mcdryburn69 wrote:

Yeah thanks I know it does that.  I’m trying to get my harmony elite remote to do a routine but it only seems to allow the standby button to be pressed once in the routine and of course there’s then the annoying 5 (or so) second delay until the box automatically switches to standby.

it would be useful if there was a power management option to select one click standby.

I had a similar issue with my Harmony remote and a projector that required a double press of the off button to switch off, in the end I was able to bodge a fix of learning the "Off" command as a different command, which I could then include in the switch off sequence (as for some reason the Harmony doesn't seem to let you include two off commands in the one sequence).

For my TiVo, I just leave it on permanently as the buffering functionality doesn't work when it goes into standby (and the TiVo never originally even had a standby mode).