cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellation, freezing etc

Timbo78
Dialled in

Another Tivo customer here with severe pixellation and freezing, tearing of picture, sound dropouts and so on, on all channels I have tried. I've reset the box twice, no faults are listed online on the service status page and trying to run the test from there returns the "This isn't the page you were looking for" screen, which it has been doing for as long as I can remember. Online test never works.

Recordings made as recently as last night are fine, a recording made today shows all the faults, as does live tv.

This is clearly a fairly widespread fault in the system, not localised to me, judging by the number of threads about it, so I feel a phone call will be a waste of time. All I'll get is the usual hard sell of a V6 box, so hopefully someone from Virgin will see this post and act on the fault. Peterborough area.

EDITED TO ADD - I did ring Virgin after all, as the tv is borderline unwatchable, and the issue is being escalated to the level two team whatever that means. So obviously a system issue but they seem unaware of it.

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The standard answer to all pixellation queries is as valid here as any time....

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so

@Timbo78 wrote:

This is clearly a fairly widespread fault in the system, not localised to me, judging by the number of threads about it, so I feel a phone call will be a waste of time. All I'll get is the usual hard sell of a V6 box, so hopefully someone from Virgin will see this post and act on the fault. Peterborough area.

Pixellation is how digital TV platforms handle poor signal issues and this is a support forum - customers who don't have issues tend not to post saying so.

And if you have VM broadband, a V6 box is far superior to the TiVo and runs the same software. It certainly doesn't need any hard selling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Following the restoration of tv services this evening, I had hoped the pixellation problem would have been resolved too, but unfortunately not.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which would suggest your fault is unrelated to the national outage, and may well be on your specific installation and/or cabling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The issue has fixed itself so, as expected, must have been a system issue. Engineer appointment for tomorrow is now cancelled.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back and letting us know that this seems to have resolved itself Timbo78. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I spoke too soon. Here we are on Monday, after cancelling my engineer, and I'm back with heavy pixellating, picture break up etc. On the phone to try to get another engineer appointment and I'm asked to give them 24 hours to see if it fixes itself again. I'm told there's an area issue with On Demand when my problem is with live tv on all channels and I'm told there was a national loss of service on Thursday, which I already knew about.

I cancelled my engineer thinking this was fixed and it's not.

This is really not good enough, I've effectively been without a tv service on Wednesday, the national outage on Thursday, Friday, most of Saturday and now Monday.

I pay over £100 a month for my services and I have to be honest, if it wasn't for the broadband I'd be off like a shot.

Hi @Timbo78

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry it's not resolved. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill