cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellation - Peterborough

Timbo78
Dialled in

Today has seen a lot of pixellation and loss of channels, in exactly the same manner as the recent area-wide problem in Peterborough a few weeks ago, which lasted quite a few days.

Image breaking up into lots of coloured squares, an error message about loss of signal etc. Intermittent but fairly regular throughout the day so far.

I mention this mainly to see if the issue can be investigated at source, seeing as how this is a previous, widespread, problem. Not because I want an engineer. Yet!

16 REPLIES 16

Sorry I don't get notifications of replies and if the service is ok I don't check the thread.

Anyway this is just to report yet another loss of channels tonight. I've not been through the whole lot to check but we've lost of most of Sky Sports (I only have the SD channels currently) but not the HD Mix and Sky Sports News. I only checked my regular watched channels as I'm about to go to bed but most of the Sky Sports, with the exception of Sky Sports Golf and the two HD channels mentioned are currently dead.

This doesn't inspire confidence in my new channel package working properly, which is due to be activated when I get my new hub later on Friday.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Timbo78,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this. I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing ongoing issues with your TV services. 

Have you taken a look at our TV Faults page to see if this can help resolve any ongoing issues? 

Have you recently rebooted your TV boxes as well as your Hub? Please do this, as this can clear some issues you're having. 

I was able to check our systems, and there are currently no area issues impacting your services. Keep us updated on how you get on and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Timbo78 wrote:

Anyway this is just to report yet another loss of channels tonight. I've not been through the whole lot to check but we've lost of most of Sky Sports (I only have the SD channels currently) but not the HD Mix and Sky Sports News. I only checked my regular watched channels as I'm about to go to bed but most of the Sky Sports, with the exception of Sky Sports Golf and the two HD channels mentioned are currently dead.

IMHO the online status page won't be any value with this, the automated line (0800 5610061) is much more use for local, postcode-level faults such as this. Although all too often, pixellation & signal issues tend to be single-user faults on individual cabling/connections.

I can't quite work out your channel availability, but... taking Sky Sports NFL & PL-SD as examples, they're on the same broadcast frequency as... (picking the lower-tier channels to find good examples)... Dave, Eden, W & Drama (all SD). Do you have the same problem with those?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Another brief loss of channels last night with BT Sport and the Eurosport channels being lost (I switched channels up and down to check the nearest ones) with the usual "This channel is not available, if it keeps happening ring 150" message. Happened twice as I was watching the cricket, just after 1am and again about ten minutes later so I just gave up and went to bed.

The box was rebooted yes. I had to do that myself to update my package the other day as it didn't update automatically. This is an ongoing issue as you can see from the thread that has been happening both with my old package and since the upgrade on Friday.

It might be happening more regularly than noted, but I've not been watching much tv in the evening just lately so wouldn't know.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Timbo78 wrote:

Another brief loss of channels last night with BT Sport and the Eurosport channels being lost (I switched channels up and down to check the nearest ones)

Digital TV platforms, including Virgin, don't carry channels through their network in relation to their EPG positions, so this test isn't proving much. To take an example, Eurosport 1HD is on the same VM broadcast frequency as... and therefore a signal fault affecting it will also affect.... Discovery HD, Freesports HD, MTV Live HD, Crime & Investigation HD, Sky History HD, E4-HD & Sky Witness HD

It's those channels that would be a good test of a problem with Eurosport-1-HD. This will also have nothing to do with your account or package.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have no idea which channels are on which frequencies, but as my broadband speed is also significantly poorer than before my "upgrade", often barely scraping over 100mbps when 180mbps is the guaranteed minimum speed on the 350mbps package, it looks like I'll be binning the service anyway.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you a private message so I can look into this for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.