cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixelation and Error Codes on Demand - Old Tivo Box

gemszappy
Tuning in

Help! Our tv reception has been getting steadily worse over last 2 months, recordings and live tv is affected; pixelating is getting worse - was little patches and now right across middle of screen, was just channel 4  channels now all over the channels and esp frustrating at Christmas and this week for Eurosport which makes for poor viewing of AO tennis. We get kicked off On demand services, not able to watch even a 30 mins programme all the way through so given up watching, tend to last anywhere from 3mins to 15 mins before error codes appears N27 and C130. Check diagnostics but the menus freeze.

We get flashing green light on the front after the Tivo crashes (second light in from left) -  any advice seems to be check cables, switch off/on again, check network status and no change, no improvement.

Seen other forum members explain that flashing light is memory problem, failing unit with our Tivo? Help, in light of recent price rises, keen to have full working service. Tivo was new back in 2015, never been contacted about an upgrade and asked at renewing contract told nothing till it stops working so looks like time has come? Was told couple of year s bad could pay to upgrade to newer device but can't see that on website either.

Looking forward to hearing advice, contact from VM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've got several things in there, I'll pick out a few bullet points...

1: Pixellation on live TV channels usually means a signal fault. One reboot, check for area faults (0800 5610061), if problems persist then you have a fault somewhere that VM can rectify if you report it. Have you done that?

2: OnDemand faults...

@gemszappy wrote:

We get flashing green light on the front after the Tivo crashes (second light in from left) -  any advice seems to be check cables, switch off/on again, check network status and no change, no improvement.

Seen other forum members explain that flashing light is memory problem, failing unit with our Tivo?

The flashing heartbeat light does indeed mean the onboard modem has failed, meaning the TiVo has no internet connection. That will cause issues with all OnDemand & streaming functions. Again - it's a fault, which usually means a box replacement once you report it to VM. Have you done that?

@gemszappy wrote:

Tivo was new back in 2015, never been contacted about an upgrade and asked at renewing contract told nothing till it stops working so looks like time has come? Was told couple of year s bad could pay to upgrade to newer device but can't see that on website either.

You're perfectly entitled to replacements of faulty VM kit once you've reported the fault and VM diagnose the kit as the cause, but only very rarely has there been proactive swapout programmes. If you have VM broadband (which is a requirement), then a V6 would be an excellent upgrade from your TiVo - it runs the same software but on much newer hardware... if you're out of minimum-term-contract, then it would be the perfect time to negotiate a new 18month deal to include a box-swap.

Forum staff can certainly assist with fault issues if you want to wait a couple of days, but contract negotiations need to be done by phone. 150 from a VM line, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone. Do your research into prices and alternative providers, and call up "armed and ready" with various options to get the best deal from retentions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've got several things in there, I'll pick out a few bullet points...

1: Pixellation on live TV channels usually means a signal fault. One reboot, check for area faults (0800 5610061), if problems persist then you have a fault somewhere that VM can rectify if you report it. Have you done that?

2: OnDemand faults...

@gemszappy wrote:

Seen other forum members explain that flashing light is memory problem, failing unit with our Tivo?

The flashing heartbeat light does indeed mean the onboard modem has failed, meaning the TiVo has no internet connection. That will cause issues with all OnDemand & streaming functions. Again - it's a fault, which usually means a box replacement once you report it to VM. Have you done that?

@gemszappy wrote:

Tivo was new back in 2015, never been contacted about an upgrade and asked at renewing contract told nothing till it stops working so looks like time has come? Was told couple of year s bad could pay to upgrade to newer device but can't see that on website either.

You're perfectly entitled to replacements of faulty VM kit once you've reported the fault and VM diagnose the kit as the cause, but only very rarely has there been proactive swapout programmes. If you have VM broadband (which is a requirement), then a V6 would be an excellent upgrade from your TiVo - it runs the same software but on much newer hardware... if you're out of minimum-term-contract, then it would be the perfect time to negotiate a new 18month deal to include a box-swap.

Forum staff can certainly assist with fault issues if you want to wait a couple of days, but contract negotiations need to be done by phone. 150 from a VM line, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone. Do your research into prices and alternative providers, and call up "armed and ready" with various options to get the best deal from retentions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you, yes did contact VM couple of weeks ago via online assistant who did some checks;  your reply and insight has given confidence to formally report this time. Thank you!

Hi @gemszappy

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issues

Have you managed to speak to our team around this as of yet?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Travis, thanks for making contact.  Tried at weekend, but it was not possible to get through , had WhatsApp message saying would let us know when operator was free, then WhatsApp said couldn't help Is not always possible during day to call, wait on line. It would be amazing if you can help? Thanks!

Hi gemszappy,

I am sorry to hear you've been struggling to reach us and are still having issues. I've been able to locate the back end of your services and can't see any visible issues with your TV service, so I'll pop you over a PM now as we'll probably need to arrange an engineer visit so the error and picture issues can be looked at.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope 🙂

Thanks

Beth

Thanks Beth!

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi gemszappy,

Thanks so much for confirming your details with me via PM.

I have arranged the next available engineer appointment for you so your TV issue can be looked at - to view your appointment time slot or rearrange the appointment, please head over to your online account here

Do let us know how the visit goes and if we can help with anything else in the meantime 🙂

Beth

Thank you, we look forward to the technician's visit. It was less glitchy today, tried the on demand and the sky comedy failed after less minute, error code, then heartbeat light flashing then the TV signal was terrible again. 

Keep you posted!

Good news, our helpful engineer visited today, confirmed failing Tivo box so has replaced with another Tivo (not V6). All sorted and the on demand is working and no pixelation.😀