cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixelating on TV screen

Ger_S
Joining in

Hi! We have a problem with pixelating on our tv screen.  This is an intermittent fault but seems to happen most days particularly on the HD channels.  One channel particularly affected is 509, Sky Sports News.  Here the pixelating is awful.  I have contacted Virgin two or three times about this when asking about other things and our box has been checked and found to be ok.  I was asked to make a note of when it happened and on what channel which I have done.  However we are still experiencing the issue.  It would appear, having spoken to others in our area, that we are not alone in having this issue.  

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

From your mention of Sky Sports News HD, I would also expect BT Sport 3-HD, Sky Cinema Hits HD, Sky Max HD & BBC1-Wales-HD to also be affected.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

@Ger_S wrote:

It would appear, having spoken to others in our area, that we are not alone in having this issue.  

Have those others also reported their faults to VM?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Ger_S

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are effected by this issues with your set top box! 

Can I ask how the box is connected to the TV? Via a HDMI or SCART lead? 

Thank you. 

Hi Ash

The box is connected via an HDMI cable.

Kind regards

Geraldine

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ger_S,

Thank you for coming back to us about your TV pixilation issue! Do you have a spare HDMI cable available? It may be worth checking if a different cable stops this issue.

Please also ensure that all cables going in and out of the TV are in securely. You can also take a look at your TV Faults page to see if this can help with your issue.

Let us know how you get on and if you need help further assistance.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ger_S 

Do you have problems with your picture with OnDemand? Or does this only affect live TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Pauline

Many thanks for your message. I have tried this previously but have still had the issue.  All cables are in properly as far as I can see. We have 4 HDMI slots on our tv and I just have moved the cable to a different slot.  The tv has picked up the change.  I will see how I get on with this and let you know.  I have just found the spare HDMI cable so if we continue to have the problem I will try this cable.

I will let you know how we get on.

Kind regards

Geraldine

Hi!

Many thanks for your messages.  I, like  you, think this is an external issue however feel I have to go through the checks asked for by Virgin as you never know!

As we rarely watch anything on Demand the problem is mainly on live tv.  I have just watched something on demand and whilst there was no pixelating the screen did jolt a little at times.  Also the sound cut out a couple of times which is something that also happens on live tv. 

Once again many thanks for your help

Geraldine

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ger_S wrote:

I have just watched something on demand and whilst there was no pixelating

I'm going to stick my neck out here, and suggest this is nothing to do with your HDMI lead.

If it were, all your pictures would be pixellated regardless of source.

Given that only live TV is affected, I think the pixellation is a signal fault, not an HDMI one.

Hi Ger_S,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

So I can get a few more details regarding the issue and the equipment I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm