cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixelated and distorted TV picture - All Channels

pdoth
On our wavelength

I have been getting regular pixelating and severe picture distortion/interference since January 2021. I I have followed all the online instructions to reset the Virgin TIVO Box. Nothing helps. It is now virtually impossible to watch. Hopeless trying to get in touch with VM, after holding on for 1 hour I get cut off. When I did get through I was told they would have to phone me back as they had some issues at their office. (never phoned back). The pixelating is usually on the main TV channels BBC and ITV, C4, Quest etc. at peak viewing times and worse after 9pm. It gets so bad some weekends I have switched the TV off and given up. Any suggestions would be very welcome, including switching supplier.

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's the first time you've posted on here about this, so I'll include the standard advice which applies to your post as well as anyone's..

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them. In your case, if you don't get the appropriate answer (i.e. a tech visit) from the first agent you speak to, it's often as wise just to callback and speak to someone else.

Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C

Hi pdoth,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums. Sorry to hear that you have been having TV pixelation issues. Our online diagnostics might be able to help with this:
https://www.virginmedia.com/care/fix-your-tv

How has the service been since your post?
Can you try double checking the connection between the hub and the TiVo? If that's is secured then try resetting the hub to factory settings. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Corey C

pdoth
On our wavelength

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I am, unfortunately very used to the 'usual and normal' recommended steps to try and address this issue as it has been a constant 'pain' for the last 3yrs +.

It varies between the odd pixilation along the bottom third of the screen, to flat out double images, full screen pixilation, picture 'lag' (some times for 1 - 3 sec) until it all gets so bad I switch it off. It occurs on most channels but is particularly bad on ITV, Chan 4, BBC1, 2, and gets much worse after 17:00 most evenings and even worse at weekends.

Without a doubt I am convinced it is the, now aging TIVO box (the original type). I know it is not the same thing but, a free sat box does not seem to get effected.

I even tried to upgrade to the latest TIVO + Hub but Virgin didn't seem to understand what I wanted and sent just a new Hub2 instead (which is now fitted with no difference to the picture).

I no longer have a main external terrestrial arial so am reliant of the cable for TV and cannot compare quality.

Any suggestions  ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pdoth wrote:

I am, unfortunately very used to the 'usual and normal' recommended steps to try and address this issue as it has been a constant 'pain' for the last 3yrs +.

So you've been paying for a TV service for 3+ years that's not been working. Have you reported it, and given VM a chance to rectify the fault? I suspect you haven't, and that's the first step. At least you're here now.

@pdoth wrote:

Without a doubt I am convinced it is the, now aging TIVO box (the original type). I know it is not the same thing but, a free sat box does not seem to get effected.

It is the same thing and it's not. Pixellation & picture breakup is how digital-TV systems handle poor signal. All this proves is that there's no fault on your Freesat system, but there is with your VM installation. Whether that is your box, or the cabling - until you get "boots on the ground" to physically check the kit & cabling, anything more is speculation.

@pdoth wrote:

I even tried to upgrade to the latest TIVO + Hub but Virgin didn't seem to understand what I wanted and sent just a new Hub2 instead (which is now fitted with no difference to the picture).

Live TV doesn't use the internet, so changing your internet/router setup wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference - not to mention the TiVo's internet connection is inbuilt, and separate from your home broadband. The only time that your internet connectivity comes into play is for OnDemand & streaming, and even then pixellation wouldn't result. Perhaps @Corey_C has another reason for asking this.

@pdoth wrote:

Any suggestions  ?

Refer to my post-2 above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pdoth
On our wavelength

Yup. some good points. I have noticed that the main 'incoming' connection box (positioned outside the property) is showing signs that the weather (rain) 'may' have penetrated the cover. I'm assuming if I take the cover off to have a look I'm infringing any warranty restrictions?

Whilst I'm about it I will double check ALL the cabling, once again, So I can be completely sure its not - "down to me". If all this fails then, I am in the hands of the engineers.

pdoth
On our wavelength

I don't know if I'm speaking too soon but...... I checked the outside junction box and the cover did have damage (medium) to it. I checked the inside and there was signs of slight water damage and surface corrosion. I cleaned this off, tested the connectors and reassembled.

The cover remains damaged but, the picture, on all channels (SD and HD) appear to be working without signs of pixilation. It remains to see how they hold up when the 'full load' is present, normally some time after 18:00 ish.

Fingers crossed............

Hi pdoth,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, we are sorry to hear you have been facing pixilation issues for over 3+ years, glad to hear you may have resolved the issue by cleaning the rust off the outside connections, if you do have any further issues please let us know so we can arrange a technician to look further into this, as you have advised there is rust was water ingress, the technician may need to change all the connections and replace the cover.

Regards

Paul.