cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture pixellating

cgilbert2
Joining in

During 2022 I had an engineer on-site who replaced the cable between the road and the house. This was to improve the TV picture quality that was pixellating. 

This has now returned and is becoming widespread on a number of channels, irrespective of watching "live" or a recording. 

The picture regularly pixelates, the sound distorts and recently when watching a snooker the ball would "ghost".

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your live TV is pixellating, then resultant recordings will also be affected. Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cgilbert2,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thank you for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with your TV picture. I appreciate you've had this issue previously, however can you firstly please ensure that all your connections are secure in the back of your TV and TV box, and to try a different HDMi lead if possible? Just to rule out the possibility of it being an equipment fault, as I've had a look this end and there's no signal issues showing on our end.

Let us know.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for coming back to me. I have checked the connections are tight at both ends. I have also used a different HDMI cable, but experiencing the same pixellation.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this pixellation affecting OnDemand programmes? Or only live TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The pixellating occurs on both Added to that the sound is often very tinny. Eighteen or so months ago I was told I need a new box if it occurred again Why cannot someone from Virgin respond?

Thank you for confirming this information @cgilbert2 
Please can you check that the cabling that is connected to the Virgin Media RF socket (Radio frequency out) on the wall is secure, undamaged and without any twists or kinks. Also check to see if all is secure with the splitter, if applicable? We just need to check if the cabling is connected and any signs of damage or if the cabling is twisted with kinks at all. 

If this is all secure and undamaged, can you confirm if the issues occur after the TV has been on for some time or it the sound and pictures issues start as soon as the box is switched on?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi,

I have checked that the cable is secured, undamaged and doesn't have any twists or kinks. There is no splitter in operation.

The problems with the picture occur immediately. For example, switch on the TV + box and watch the snooker and ghosting appears instantly.

Regards

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi cgilbert2,

Thanks for the update on this. I've taken a look on our side, and it does appear that the hard drive is healthy, and that all the levels on your TV box are within standard specifications. However, I can see that one of the Tuners on the TV box have failed, so I'm going to drop you a private message so we can arrange for one of our Technicians to visit.

Please look out for it in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ