cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture pixelation

Dan123456789
Tuning in

I've had a recurring pixelation problem on my TV picture going back many months. It is more prevalent on SD channels than HD channels but still occurs on HD channels. I've had 2 new Tivo boxes, new cables, an engineer come around to check my aerial and had a Virgin engineer come around but the problem is persisting. My only conclusion is that there must be a problem coming form the Virgin signal as the TV picture on all Freeview channels is perfect.

Now I am stuck as what to do next. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly the stock answer...

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

Now for the personalised bit...

Checking your aerial is completely irrelevant, unless you have a fault with your Freeview service. Virgin Media isn't Freeview, and your VM service is delivered over VM's co-ax cable. Equally when you refer to "Freeview channels", do you mean your Freeview TV service? Or free-to-air channels viewed through your VM box?

As regards where you go from here, I assume you've rebooted your TiVo once, and if so you clearly have a fault on your installation somewhere which VM need to rectify. Until every bit of your installation from STB through to street-cabinet connections, has been checked and/or replaced, there is potential for there to be an issue somewhere - VM need to identify which component is at fault and rectify it.

You can either call in to report this (usual number - 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone) or wait here for VM staff to pick up, which might take a couple of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for you answer.

I've rebooted the Tivo box many times and as stated had two replacement boxes and a complete new set of cables. I am now aware that checking my aerial was irrelevant as the aerial engineer told me on arrival but I was running out of ideas. By Freeview channels I mean the Freeview TV service and not the free channels on Virgin. Also I've rung the help desk and call centre many times yet, sadly, the problem is persisting. Hopefully my problem will be picked up on here!

Thanks for coming back to us @Dan123456789.

Are the issues on live TV, recordings, on demand or is it all of the HD content across all platforms?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

As stated the pixelation problem is most prevalent on SD channels, for example Yesterday, but it still occurs on HD channels, for example when I watch Sky Sports F1 HD. There is still pixelation on recordings. However watching SD channels, Yesterday especially so, is no longer an option to watch as the pixelation is so bad.

Thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have pixellation on live TV, this is often caused by incoming signal issues - and all resultant recordings will be affected.

If your live TV is ok, but recordings are problematic, this could be an issue with your hard drive. Try pausing live TV for perhaps 30 seconds and watch it delayed. This is also using the hard drive and is effectively a recording.

If you have signal issues, it would generally affect all the channels carried on the frequencies that are problematic. You've mentioned Sky F1 HD, can you also try any of the following channels that you have, as to whether they're affected:

S4C-HD, Film-4-HD, Channel-5-HD, Sky History 2 HD, Sky Sports Action/Lions HD, S4C

For "Yesterday", can you check... DaveSD, AlibiSD, EdenSD, Sky News SD, Sky Sports Action/The Lions & PL SD, Drama+1 SD

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Japitts,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked other SD channels including W, Sky one, Al Jazeera, More 4 and Dave and the pixelation problem is still present. It seems now that watching any SD channel is no longer an option due to the pixelation problem.

With regards to HD channels the pixelation problem is not serious. It happens infrequently and sporadically.

So overall it is a continuation of the same problem that has been going on for many months, i.e. SD channels experience frequent pixelation to the point where the channels are not watchable yet on HD the problem is not serious and infrequent so watching is not a problem.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

if you've confirmed that live TV channels are affected, that should be all the forum staff need to know.

For reference, the channels I listed in my previous post were all carried on the same broadcast multiplex (frequency) as the ones you mentioned as being problematic.

Hopefully the forum staff can run their remote checks and identify an issue.

Thanks for coming back to us @Dan123456789.

Our automated systems have identified a broadcast issue with your TV service that will require a technician visit to fix.

I will need to drop over a private message, so that we can confirm a few details and get the visit booked in for you.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details @Dan123456789

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about your appointment on your online account and clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Also, please let us know how the visit goes, if you get chance that is. 

Regards,

Steven_L