cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Jumping

dford2
Joining in

Please, please, please someone at VM help us. We have gone through three older recon tivo boxes in the past 6 months, every one of them results in jumping pictures, we have to reset two or three times a day, and can't record anything as it jumps. When we get through to India they simply try to run a remote reset (what's the point as we do that all day), when I point this out they literally say the "system" doesn't allow them to do anything else.

Tried to cancel the contract, as I have evidence of the constant resets, they put me through to retentions and I got the big long beeeeeeeeeeep. In short hung up on.

I won't give up, unless this get's sorted my next stop has to be Ofcom. I don't want that as I've been with VM for many years and generally happy until this nonsense started.

I will update my progress

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Back to basics here then!

You've described "jumping pictures" - is this on live TV? OnDemand? Streaming? Recorded programmes?

Is this pixellating and/or picture breakup?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

All, so I'm assuming cable connection. However, internet comes through the same cable at 200mps no problem. Picture jumps, best described as stuttering.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OnDemand uses the internet which on a TiVo is in-built and doesn't use your home broadband.

Live TV uses a broadcast feed from your co-ax cable.

Recorded programmes use your hard drive but are only as good as the live TV signal.

Isolating whether any type of viewing is particularly affected might point at particular causes - in your case, if your box has already been reset I can only suggest waiting here for VM staff to pick this post up and run their remote checks. Be aware that may take a couple of days.

Incidentally, if you have VM broadband you could do a lot worse than try to negotiate a box-swap to a V6. It runs the same software as your TiVo but on a much newer, quicker box with 6 recording tuners rather than 3.

You can only expect a like-for-like TiVo swap, but if you're in a position to renegotiate your package for another 18months it could be something to bear in mind.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks that's useful, I'm not in a position to renegotiate a new 18 months as I've just signed up on the basis of a functional TV. However, due to the poor service I'm on pretty firm ground for cancelling that which is a shame. I'll take my wider family with me on exiting VM as well. The remote checks have been done time and time again. Let's be honest it's simply a remote reset and speed test which we do twice a day. I hope they are listening.... my experience has always been good with VM until this.

Hi dford2,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some issues with the box.

I've been able to locate your account details using your forum information and have been through a few checks.

It does look like a new box is needed- I'll need a few more details in order to arrange this, so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Afternoon dford2,

Thanks for providing your details for me,

The new box should be with you within 3-5 days.

Alex_Rm